All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

I previously passed on my Steam Deck when it came up after waiting for months. Of course I later regretted it. I ordered one on Thursday and I just got my shipping number today, Saturday. I ordered the 64 gig. I’ve already ordered a 512 NVME to install when it arrives. I ended up saving about $125 even though I will have to install the drive and install the software. Mmmm. New shiney!

Do you want to play recent AAA games? Bloated file size GAAS? Dual boot windows? etc

The majority of games I wanted to play on my deck are under 2gb.

Are there any good ARPGs that work well on the SD? Darksiders 2, I think it is, is the only one in my library with a green checkmark.

Couch, bed, hammock, or even in the pool. I love the flexibility.

Victor Vran is SD verified. It is pretty cool Diablo like game. I am still trying to get used to the controls though.

Huh? How come?

The game can slow to a crawl when there’s enough things going on and that’s more likely with certain features and characters unlocked and on high Curse runs.

I find myself in this same quandary, especially since I’ve decided to wait on PS5 until they are readily in stock and I can trade my Switch and PS4 in to offset costs. I like playing my Switch in bed or even just on the couch, but it’s hardware is too limiting. Every review I watch for every game I want to play is that the game runs poorly on Switch. Even Indy stuff like Tunic. I’m thinking a Steam Deck might be better for me. Plus the Steam Sales make eshop sales seem pretty pathetic.

The green checkmark, it’s more of a guideline than a rule. Plenty of stuff plays well enough without the checkmark, and some stuff with the checkmark, I wouldn’t play it, because the controls aren’t good enough for me, or I’m not feeling up to burning my freaking eyes out.

It’s going to depend on the person.

Yes, I also play on my back deck while drinking coffee, in the kitchen while cooking, in my car while daughter has music lessons, etc.

I went large so as not to hassle with swapping drives. I also added a 512 gb flash drive. Overkill? Maybe but I do like the case it came with and the antiglare/scratch glass on the top of the extra storage. I just don’t feel messing with the hardware much on a handlheld.

I’ve tried GriomDawn and Torchlight and neither played “great” so I moved on for now. Will revisit at some point and mess with a custom controller setup maybe. Diablo 2 remastered would play awesome I would think? Maybe the Baulders Gate Alliance reboot? Anyone tried that yet?

I am playing/have tried Fallout NV and Dragons Dogma which both play great albeit not quite what your looking for?

Seconded! This has become the case for so many things in my life. I am blaming it on added responsibility, and I don’t have the time, but it is really laziness, I think< for me too. I can’t keep up with technology like I used to, and I wasn’t really that great before. :) I am sure the modifications are simple, but I can f*&$ up simple.

And I agree that the pull of a quick delivery is painful to ignore. My last PC from a year was a great purchase after 2 or 3 years of having to ignore most PC gaming. My last console was a PS4…the Steamdeck, for the reasons many have described, make work for my old, couch-sitting ass.

I was thinking more of the top down variety, thanks. I really should give Dragon Dogma a serious go though. I might have to see if D2 will run. My biggest concern is font size with these games though.

Fedex says arriving today.

Good to live near their distribution center.

Until it says “On truck for delivery” I wouldn’t get too excited. Even then Fedex drivers can run out of time and it gets delayed a day, but it’s been a year or two since that has happened to me.

Sorry to be a downer, I just have a severe distrust of Fedex.

I was able to play Seven (really good isometric Thief-like) no problems on the Deck and it’s got the grey “does not work” mark. Controls work fine by default. Only issue was the tutorial videos don’t play.

At the end of the day, it’s a PC. So, I got older GTA games working, managed to get some mods in there, and it works fine, even though they’re not marked as playable.

Bully, marked as playable but not a great experience without mods. Modded it, doesn’t even start.

:D

If you’re up for some minimal tweaking I’m a fan of Crankshaft. One of the plugins adds a ProtonDB compatibility indicator on the top left of every game’s info hub. I find that to be a much better indicator of how a game will run.

Lol

It said “tuesday” got an update yesterday that it would be sunday. Got it about 2 hours ago.

SSD installed and steam re-imaged in about an hour and a half.

The SSD replacement was stupid easy, what took forever was re-imaging the OS, I used a cheap USB drive and a USB 2.0 hub, which REALLY slowed things down, that itself took almost an hour.

Installing loads of shit, must mow lawn and do other stuff.

Now that youve taken it apart and back again - do you feel like there was a significant impairment to the build sturdiness at all? Or does it feel basically as solid as new?