All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

I guess I have no clue, because I took it apart immediately.

But, it has clips and screws to hold it down. So… it is pretty solid. Prying it open didn’t appear to affect the tabs in any way. And Since I used plastic prying tools, no marks I can see.

I’m currently playing DD for the first time and it runs incredibly well, not even any eyestrain. I wear reading glasses for other games, but not this one!

Fun game, too. I’m playing it on easy and finding the enemies bullet sponginess just right. Once I figured out how to kit out my pawns I have had a much better time with combat, including some great emergent stuff where I had to run away from a huge bandit encounter and lost my main pawn. Ended up pretty far away from a settlement where I could restore her, so I completed the quest in a state of tension and enjoyment, sneaking forward and taking on enemies as intelligently as I could.

It seems pretty good at being a straight ahead, lightly tactical action game, but has enough build and party composition options that it could actually reward serious play. I’m not up for much serious play these days, so the ding dong options are fine for me!

3d printing some accessories now!

Need a stand asap.

For sure try the, “community controller profile,” for any games that aren’t quite 100%. A lot of people have gotten better than you and I and getting all the important stuff mapped, though learning the setup game to game can be tasking.

I made a community profile for Imposter Factory that’s 1000% better than the stock configuration. It’s super easy to customize the control scheme for any game.

Best features of the Deck (for me):

• easy controller configuration
  • instant suspend/resume
  • Steam cloud allows you to jump between desktop and couch seamlessly.

I’m in complete agreement on all but ESPECIALLY this. Never having more than one Steam capable system at the house it’s pretty amazing to pick up my save game between PC or couch.

I’d also add that the controllers on the deck are quite nice with the exception of those on the bottom which I rarely use. Strange placement for both of them.

Has anyone figured out how to get the Humble App on the Deck? I haven’t found a good guide for that yet, and don’t really have the time to brute force different install methods myself.

I have not tried this yet. Also I don’t know if they have since fixed their app to be linux compatible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/x7duyj/how_to_install_the_humble_games_collection_on_the/

Thanks for that - guess I’ll have to use Lutris for Humble. I’m hoping somebody eventually adds it to Bottles but this is better than starting from scratch.

I couldn’t get games loaded via Lutris working with the controller - any tips? I added Epic Games via Lutris, add it to Steam and launched it through the SteamDeck interface, but all the controls inherited the Epic Games controller setup, which is all keyboard mapping, no native button support.

It feels like anything outside of steam is very fiddly.

One necessary accessory every deck owner should have is a USB-C hub, so you can connect mouse/keyboard for fiddling in desktop mode.

I haven’t had any need to futz around much in desktop mode. I installed a couple packages when I first got the deck but haven’t touched desktop mode since.

Agreed. But be careful if you have a powered one. It seems some hubs are causing problems where you need to either drain the battery or remove it to get it to turn on.

On the contrary, I’m in it a lot. Syncing files from my PC, installing emulators etc.

I love the flexibility of using it as a console with a user friendly dashboard or as a fully capable Desktop OS.

What are you doing in desktop mode? I went into it once, and never thought of it again. Am I missing something important?

If you are going to do any tweaking, installing non-steam stuff etc, it is basically required. Plus a usb type c hub is just useful.

I only use desktop mode for watching movies and browsing internet. I installed warpinator for easy file transfer from my PC and that’s about it.

I keep trying to talk myself into buying one of these but I think I have battery-drain shpilkes. I don’t like gaming on a phone, Switch, laptop, basically any device where I’m at all aware that my time will run out within a few hours. It’s probably the same reason a lot of us don’t like timed quests. I just prefer gaming when it’s plugged in.

I use my iPad on flights without any concern because the battery lasts a really long time. I guess around 8 hours of battery life allows me to relax but 2-3 doesn’t. Sorry if this sounds obvious, but I’m only now realizing how kind-of uptight I am about this and how significant the mental distraction of battery drain is to my enjoyment.

If you keep a 20 Ah battery in your bag, you don’t have to worry about it. I usually have two on me.

+1, and go for one with high output wattage so you can play and charge at the same time. Mine is a (now discontinued) Best Buy house brand that maxes at 65W output. The deck battery charges while I’m playing.