All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

Yeah, the trackpads are sweet. They feel like Steam Controller 2.0 pads. I always wanted to like them more than I did on the Steam Controller, but I genuinely like them here. It helps that they’re supplementary to the thumbsticks instead of trying to replace them, which I think was a mistake.

Definitely a big upgrade since the Vive/Steam Controller days. They just feel right now. Like gamepads on PC were always supposed to have these.

I expect this thing will be priced towards the high end Steam Deck, $600ish. Too much for me, but it should be quite a bit more powerful than the Deck so I could see that being competitve.

I recently picked up a Logitech G Cloud and love it so far. It’s so comfortable to use and the screen is really nice.

I mean, the reason to buy the steam deck was that, out of all of the options, it was really focused on making my steam library work well, and not much else.

Like others have said, steam deck-like handhelds have existed for a while, it was really the steam deck that took off, probably due to its good design, perfect level of power, and overall great support from the developer. Not to mention low price point.

Word. Apple didn’t invent the smartphone. It just was the first one to do it right. This is the same thing.

I wonder if the April 1 launch was a brilliant way to get extra publicity (since it got featured in so many April Fools roundups), or a Class A frack-up on the part the marketing team that ended up in their favor.

When I watched it, it was from the viewpoint of “Yeah, that seems plausible” and “that’s a stretch” and I definitely didn’t absorb it in the way I would if I knew it really was a product video.

At any rate, +1 on the pads being integral to the Steam Deck’s usability. Not including at least one is a big miss on Asus’s part.

“This software is clutch. They have to nail this when it ships.”

Asus. Software.

That said, if it’s genuinely 2x as powerful at the same price, I might be tempted, though obviously battery is a big question mark. It doesn’t look like we’ll be seeing a Steam Deck 2 for a couple years at least. I’m skeptical that it will be competitive on price though. Compared to an Aya Neo? Probably. But Steam Deck is crazy good value for specs.

I liked Steam Controller enough, SD feels as great. Sadly you sometimes have to adjust those arcane numbers in trackpad properties, but when it works right it’s better than stick for what it does. Not to mention it allows for playing strategy games and RPGs emulating mouse in a way that doesn’t feel like a compromise. I’m not really interested in a handheld that won’t have trackpads.

What?! Please, please teach me. Or @KevinC? I have tried using the trackpads and it’s been awful.

I did this: Properties >> Game Resolution >> 800x600. But it still launches at the old resolution. Or do I put a check in the box for “Set resolution for internal and external display”?

<>

Hmmm if I do that last thing it won’t launch. I wonder if because it brings up a temp loading screen with screen res it’s over riding what I put in?

Does it even allow 800x600? Running it it seems like the lowest it’ll go is 1024…
And what’s your issue with the trackpads? Why are they awful for your usage?

ETA:
Also, that setting, if you don’t set it for internal and external display, I think it only applies if you connect the deck to an external screen.

Like a few others have said, lack of trackpads is a total non-starter for me also. They are what allow me to play mouse-driven games.

What kinds of things have you been using the trackpads for? I use them as a supplement to the thumbsticks for games that require a mouse (or a certain action that is much faster to do with a mouse, like inventory management in an ARPG or something), mostly. They’re much faster and more precise than moving a mouse cursor around compared to a thumbstick.

I’ve played strategy games on the Deck that don’t have gamepad support and I would hate to be slowboating a mouse cursor around with a thumbstick.

Check out this video:

It’s not for every game, for FPS it doesn’t work, but for many other games, it’s a great way to set up so your trackpad is easier to use as a mouse.

I am a PC player and even after years of dealing with gamepads I find the sticks very unintuitive in games where you directly control a character. Left stick is fine, you hold it and the character runs in a certain direction. But the right stick? I hold it to steer the camera. Am I controlling an airplane? I’m used to snappy mouse movement, my hand is wired directly into the character, if it moves an inch the character moves an inch. And that not to mention issues with precision. Joystick emulation on trackpad feels superior to a regular gamepad to me - as long as I get the right precision options for it.

Very subjective, of course. When I became conscious about all this I’ve realized that many modern games don’t really want you to move camera much till you’re aiming, or want you to just quickly trigger the stick with no precision at all. It’s not a. Coincidence you’re supposed to press ABXY with the same thumb that controls the camera. As a mouse player I’m used to my hand always controlling the camera, and Steam Deck helps with this preference by mapping ABXY to back buttons by default.

I still use right stick in something like Streets of Rogue where it feels intuitive.

I’ll have to play with those settings and see how they feel. Thanks for the link!

Oh you reckon? I picked up my Steam Controller again recently after getting the Deck and I much prefer their shape and size compared to the small squares. The haptics on the Deck are a lot more refined, at least on the right one; the left trackpad haptics are vague and mushy which seems to be common issue. I also think the rear paddles are a huge step back from an ergonomic point of view. All that said, the second thumbstick and a d-pad are very welcome additions which were sorely missing on the Steam Controller.

That’s interesting how our experiences differed! I had different reactions to the pads as well as the rear paddles. Goes to show that you can’t please everyone. I’m glad I’m not in charge of designing a consumer product! :)

Hah, same! I really struggle to clench or push the rear buttons now so they just go unused which is such a shame because they’re right there! I’m in total agreement with others though: no trackpads would be a deal breaker for me because they’re so useful.

Good news for the 64gb crowd

A forthcoming update to the Steam Deck’s open source video driver will shrink the gaming handheld’s shader cache files by approximately 60%*