All-purpose gun legislation thread

I don’t have the stats handy, but from what I remember modern (post-2000’s) home invasions (like actual armed-dudes-bust-down-the-door-while-people-are-home style break-ins) are like drive-by shootings in that most of them are drug or gang related in motive. The typical scenario is someone learns that a particular house has a lot of drugs, cash, or both lying around so they gather a couple of accomplices and bust in to take it by force. The criminals aren’t just going to take stuff and leave. They have to eliminate any witnesses. In for a penny, so to speak. Unfortunately, what sometimes happens is that just like drive-by hits, innocent people get hurt or killed. The invaders’ information is incorrect - there’s nothing of value in the house, or there are people there that have nothing to do with the operation - or, even worse, the criminals screw up and go to the wrong house entirely.

In states with legal weed, this was a pretty common issue at the outset because these small businesses had to deal exclusively in cash which resulted in shop owners taking a lot of money home to lock up in private safes. Thankfully, this has gone down somewhat since the shops started going to app-based payment systems.

Someone knowingly breaking into an occupied home is pretty rare otherwise, but it’s still not a great bet that what the invader wants is just to steal stuff and leave peacefully. In America, at least, breaking into an occupied home comes with the knowledge that the homeowner may be armed and ready to fire on them, plus there’s a much stiffer penalty than just a normal burglary if they’re caught. I would assume a home invader is in my house to commit violence, or will commit violence in the execution of their other crimes.

Edit: I don’t own a firearm, so if anyone reading this were going to invade my home, just know that I have some pretty wicked Nerf guns so they’re apt to get some nasty welts.