All-purpose gun legislation thread

God, that just makes me unbelievably sad. We’re talking alligator jumps out of water and drowns 2 year old level of sad.

You’re not trying to make a joke right? I find all these tragic, including the alligator because the’re preventable and foreseeable.

I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t a joke. Only worded a bit unusually.

Err, no? I find death to be all different levels of sad. Saddam Hussein?
Not sad at all. The lady who leaves her loaded gun lying around under her
seat and gets shot by her child? Only slightly sad. A three year old who is
visiting someone else’s house and is too young to even know what a gun is?
Extremely sad.

Sigh.

As a parent I would feel so horribly guilty I don’t think I could live with myself.

I remember my dad had a gun in the house. It was a hunting rifle he kept in the garage in safe or when it was brought in the house it was never loaded and not something for children to touch, period. I never really had much interest in guns, but I was a gamer since around 7 years old, which included lots of trips to arcades to play things like terminator and eventually Jurassic Park gun style games.

Parents get careless which is why I have very, very strict rules around my swimming pool and children. Any parent who doesn’t like it I remind can politely leave. It takes less than a few minutes to drown. There was a news article not long ago where a child was basically killed by a heifer, and the child grew up around animals his entire life on the farm.

I don’t know what the answer is for parents who are careless around guns and small children, but there are too many people out there that don’t treat guns like the deadly weapons they are.

Did you hear about the one at the gun range in Louisiana the other day? A guy brought his teenage son to the range. While shooting a pistol, a hot shell landed in his shirt, and he moved to swipe it away. Used his gun hand, and shot his son, who died.

It’s not really about being careless. It’s that when you have 100 million guns, one in a million odds will happen a hundred times. Safety measures will help, but less guns would also help. The convenience and ease of use of pistols is a major factor in crime and accidents; yet getting one is arbitrarily easy.

Yes I did hear about that, and I think that’s the very definition of being careless. He made an erratic move with his finger on the trigger and didn’t pay attention to what he was doing while wielding a lethal weapon. There are too many people out there with guns who look at them as hobbies and a right and not the realization they hold in their hand something that can easily kill someone else.

I agree with your latter statement, but when you have burning hot metal against your nipple, I don’t think you’re focusing on being careful and responsible. Friend of mine had a minor bike accident when a wasp went down his shirt. Is he now the very definition of a careless cyclist? It’s just shit luck, and when you have shit luck and your hobby is a gun, someone could get shot.

Yes, he was careless. I don’t know what definition you’re using for this word but this is what I am using:

not giving sufficient attention or thought to avoiding harm or errors.

Maybe you’re thinking negligent and careless are one in the same thing. They’re not exactly the same.

Don’t want to dwell on this but you’re stating that all that was needed to avoid the tragedy (killing his own son) was more attention and thought. What type of attention and thought should he have given before the incident. Obviously the act itself was unintentional and out of his control, so what actions could he have done before?

I don’t even know that I’d use the term “careless” here - the physiological response to burning is pretty dramatic. If a hot piece of metal goes down your shirt, it takes an especially disciplined (and probably forewarned) mind to NOT start flailing about madly.

This guy might have otherwise been a ridiculously conscientious gun owner and operator, following every rule and guideline to the letter, but when the hot metal hit his skin his unprepared flinching was fatal to his poor son.

Check in on Missouri laws:

Subject/Law Handguns
Permit to purchase required? No
Firearm registration? No
Owner license required? No
Carry permits issued? Yes
Open carry permitted? Yes Open carry is permitted. As of October 11, 2014, a valid CCW overrides local laws against Open Carry, state wide.
State preemption of local restrictions? No .
Assault weapon law? No
Magazine Capacity Restriction? No
NFA weapons restricted? No
Peaceable journey law? Yes
Background checks required for private sales? No

How is it working out for you St Louis?

Article worth a read because there are so many shootings they just group them together in one daily story it seems.

I’ll pop in on this. I’ve had hot shells go right down the neck of my uniform while in the Army countless times and never once did I have an issue with “flailing about madly” to get rid of it. In fact, I’ve seen shells fall into dozens of soldiers’ uniforms on ranges and in actual combat, and nothing similar to this accident occurred. This sounds nuts.

Using your gun-holding hand to extract a hot shell is a goofball act akin to throwing coffee on yourself to check your wristwatch. I’m sure it can happen (obviously it did here) but you’d have to be mighty inattentive or just not thinking straight to do it. Maybe I’m not paying attention to range accidents, but if you need to be especially forewarned and disciplined for it not to happen, shouldn’t we be seeing more of this thing all over the country?

I guess my position is, if you can’t remove your finger from the trigger of a gun when the unexpected happens, maybe you shouldn’t ever have your finger on the trigger. A dog barking, a backfire on a car, a hot piece of metal… if you can’t be responsible enough not to just squeeze, then you’re being careless with that lethal weapon… and can and in this case did kill someone.

Speaking of hot coffee, if I hot cup of coffee falls into my lap while i am driving, I am not suddenly going to swerve onto the sidewalk full of children. Heck I remember as a kid one driver wound up wearing 44oz of Coke and he pulled over to the side, he didn’t just yank his wheel to the side because, again, a car can be a lethal weapon and you should try to remember that… always.

I’m not sure if I’m embedding this right:
From Vox - America’s Gun problem explained. The number one thing I take away form this - is when you think about what the #1 problem that has made the issue worse is the NRA… always making a discussion for gun issues no-go.

From Bruce Bartlett’s Twitter feed (which you should totally follow if you’re on the Twitter, btw):

https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/751433674978197505

Abstract:
Professor Bogus argues that there is strong reason to believe that, in significant part, James Madison drafted the Second Amendment to assure his constituents in Virginia, and the South generally, that Congress could not use its newly-acquired powers to indirectly undermine the slave system by disarming the militia, on which the South relied for slave control. His argument is based on a multiplicity of the historical evidence, including debates between James Madison and George Mason and Patrick Henry at the Constitutional Ratifying Convention in Richmond, Virginia in June 1788; the record from the First Congress; and the antecedent of the American right to bear arms provision in the English Declaration of Rights of 1688.

I find myself literally unable to evaluate this reasonably because it fits my views of American politics so perfectly. I want it to be true so badly that I can’t even process arguments against it.

Professor Bogus. Heh.

I once posted an argument about the racist origins of gun control but I believe it was rejected here due to the author or something. Yeah, it was like the first sentence didn’t match their worldview so someone shrieked about it and dismissed the entire thing.

But anyway, it’s the same sentiment, just for the opposite side of the debate.

So, in the light of the shooting in Dallas, was it in line with the reasoning you have here for owning high power semi automatic firearms, Olaf?

I mean, that guy basically did what you were suggesting is THE reason for owning that kind of weapon.

Jesus fucking christ man, come on.

Yes the second amendment is important, it literally exists to provide a bulwark against a tyrannical government.

But you think a racist black guy murdering white cops is an example of that?