All-purpose gun legislation thread

You guys are crazy. The scenario the far-right imagines isn’t shooting cops, it’s shooting Nazis. Much more realistic.

The far right certainly doesn’t imagine shooting Nazis, of all people. The Nazis are their heroes. They fantasize holding out against wave after wave of black, hispanic, and Jewish zombies.

But you’re calling it abuse, when it’s actually the specific reason that you yourself stated as the REASON for that right.

You don’t think the Cliven Bundy gang didn’t dream of getting into an heroic firefight with the FBI?

Here we go: an actual example of a concealed carry guy using his weapon on a criminal. Plus, Pokemons!

A group of six people were in Gary Reese Freedom Park, a Las Vegas park about 4 a.m. Monday, on the perpetual quest to catch 'em all. The park is considered a hotspot for Magikarp.

While they were seeking Pokémon, two men drove up in an SUV, seeking the players belongings. The SUV’s passenger pulled out a pistol and demanded the group’s possessions. But one of the Pokémon Go players had more than just a Pokéball - he had a concealed-carry permit and was carrying his own pistol.

The two began firing at each other. One of the players was struck - it is unclear which, though - one time in the stomach. A man thought to be the gun-wielding passenger in the SUV was also treated for a gunshot wound, the Associated Press reported.

They should have just given up their stuff. Nothing they had on their person was worth dying for I would think.

Concealed firearm, I choose you!

.38 Special has evolved into .357 Magnum!

I agree. Of course, the problem with our position is that one man’s common sense is another man’s cowardice.

Hmm, cowering at home with my family and a few less dollars or courageously taking a bullet to the gut. Tough choice, I need to think about it.

Bound to happen eventually, but gun-shaped toys and props have been banned from Gamescon.

http://news.sky.com/story/imitation-guns-banned-from-games-convention-over-security-fears-10536607

Going to hurt cos-playing I imagine, though it’s not a bad idea in my opinion.

It says “weapon shaped items” which presumably would apply to even swords and stuff, which seems lame.

“Due to the incidents of the past days, we would kindly ask for your understanding that all imitation weapons or weapon-like items forming part of your costume are not permitted at Gamescom 2016.”

So…can you bring real guns?

What incidents of the “past days” are they referring to? I remember there was some guy at some Pokémon convention, but I believe that was just a gun he brought, un-disguised, right?

Cosplayers are going to have to go around with pictures of themselves in full get-up hanging around their necks.

Two young men showed up to the 2015 Pokemon World Championship in Boston with unlicensed firearms. They also threatened a couple of players, specifically alluding to their arsenal. They both said it was spirited trash-talk that just got out of control, but they’re both spending two years in the pokey (pun intended) for unlawful possession.

Honestly seems like an over-reaction to me, if the Pokeman incident is the genesis.

This ban wouldn’t have prevented those idiots from doing what they did, whatsoever.

Yeah, if you’re willing to break ACTUAL firearms laws, then you’re probably not gonna worry about convention rules.

I don’t know if the Gamescom cosplay ruling was in response to the Pokemon thing, but I’m sure the general air of panic around guns in public spaces doesn’t help.

Some interesting thoughts here: http://www.vox.com/2016/8/22/12559364/second-amendment-tyranny-militia-constitution-founders

I think he makes good points, but hints at the counter-argument at the end there. To summarize what I took away: the main argument is that private citizens with guns are able to resist a tyrannical government in a way that the various branches of the National Guard couldn’t or wouldn’t (and millions of armed citizens would be successful in defending themselves against the armed forces of the US). The counter-argument, as I see it, is that this is simply a boogeyman. Armed resistance isn’t a great answer to anything - it feels better than passive acceptance of monstrous oppression, but the reality is that the oppression really has to leave a group with little other alternative before armed resistance becomes likely. Most of the time, it is not the tyranny itself that leads to a rebellion, but the desire for power by the leaders of the rebellion. For example, the American colonies were not really that oppressed by the British government, their leaders just wanted to rule themselves without any meddling. If tyranny is truly oppressive, people can revolt even without guns. Enough people storming a local garrison can get plenty of guns and other equipment, it’s just harder and costs more lives.

So it really comes down to a question of relative costs: is (marginal oppression allowed by a disarmed populace vs. an armed populace) x (likelihood of exceeding an armed populace’s limit of oppression) > (marginal cost in violence and/or abuse by armed citizens vs. violence and abuse by disarmed citizens) x (frequency of violence and abuse beyond the level of an unarmed citizen). That is, does the extra cost to resist a truly oppressive government in the highly unlikely circumstance that one would exist outweigh the day-to-day cost imposed by all the guns we have?

Gun dealer at Wizard World gets booted out.

[quote]
Barrington-based DS Arms owner Dave Selvaggio said he had planned since March to set up at the four-day show, which draws tens of thousands of comic and fantasy fans to the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont. The shop’s booth was to include replica guns and promotions for services such as gun safety and shooting classes.

But Las Vegas-based Wizard World pulled the plug on the booth following complaints that apparently stemmed from online reports that a dealer of real guns would be exhibiting at the show, which opened Thursday.[/quote]

[quote]
“Just because people are fans of comic books and sci-fi doesn’t mean they’re not interested in protecting themselves and their family and their belongings,” he said.

Comic Con attendees make for a natural market, he said, as many of the movies and games enjoyed by those fans involve firearms.

“Maybe 90 percent of people walking around in costumes have (presumably fake) firearms,” said Selvaggio, who added that his company has provided props for movies. “All of these movies are filmed with live guns, with firing devices and with replicas.”[/quote]