All-purpose gun legislation thread

Both, in this case.

Esteban had attended the FBI office in the Alaskan city of Anchorage and told agents that the government was controlling his mind and forcing him to watch Islamic State videos, a law enforcement official said on condition of anonymity.

Looks like a complete failure of the system (or is there even a system?)

Girl problems, mental health issues, and ISIS – that’s the middle of the mass shooting Venn diagram.

We’ve known about stress, combat, and mental health since at least WWII, most certainly in some ways before that. It’s been an acknowledged problem at an official level since at least Vietnam. And yet, we have made so little progress, and for the most part, there is still no nucleus of politicians with any interest at all in making this a priority. At the same time, we get jingoistic imbeciles haranguing us to use the military more, to bomb more, to attack more. As if military action is some sort of push-button video game and not a physical and emotional meat grinder of men and women, on all sides.

Maybe we haven’t ever progressed beyond Patton’s slapping of soldiers…

Lunatic with violent politics in China stabs up a school. No fatalities. I think your list is missing something…

There’s dumb, and then there’s DUMB.

https://youtu.be/cr6zQLvPMpw

And we all know that the reason that they were not Darwin Award nominees is that they were white boys. Anyone vaguely middle eastern would have been shot on sight.

Body armor, face mask, AR-15… seems smart.

Dearborn is a weird place to do it. 30k Arab-Americans in a city of 98k.

And they refused to comply with orders at first. Nope, cops aren’t racist at all.

I know I should be happy the police did it right this time… as in didn’t kill these idiots. Somehow I am still mad because of this very thing.

Hmmm.

[quote]
Last year, after ending one of his many spirited on-air arguments with liberal contributor Juan Williams, Hannity pulled out a gun and pointed it directly at Williams, according to three sources with knowledge of the incident. He even turned on the laser sight, causing a red dot to bob around on Williams’ body. (Hannity was just showing off, the sources said, but the unforeseen off-camera antic clearly disturbed Williams and others on set.)

For the record: Hannity’s colleagues brought the Williams incident to the attention of Fox News executives, though it’s not clear whether anything came of it. The sources said it went to Bill Shine, the network’s co-president and longtime Fox News executive, who is Hannity’s longtime friend and a former producer. A Fox News spokesperson said the incident was referred to the legal and human resources departments.

“Sean Hannity has been trained in firearm safety since he was 11 years old and has a license to carry a gun in five states, including New York,” Fox News said in a statement to CNNMoney. “The situation was thoroughly investigated and it was found that no one was put in any danger.” (The spokesperson said the incident took place in October 2016.)[/quote]

[quote]
The Fox News spokesperson also provided the following statements from Hannity and Williams.

“While discussing the issue of firearms, I showed my good friend Juan Williams my unloaded firearm in a professional and safe manner for educational purposes only,” Hannity’s statement read. “Every precautionary procedure that I have been trained in since the age of 11 was followed. I’ve had a conceal carry permit in five states for all of my adult life. Any other interpretation of this is outright false reporting.”

“This incident is being sensationalized – everything was under total control throughout and I never felt like I was put in harm’s way,” Williams’ statement read. “It was clear that Sean put my safety and security above all else and we continue to be great friends.”[/quote]

Here’s my two cents: I don’t know if Williams was actually okay with it or not, but if anyone pointed their firearm at me, even in a joking way, we’re going to have a problem. It’s not cool to fuck around like that. There are way too many accidents from idiots screwing around and pointing their “safety on” or “unloaded” guns at someone else.

“Every precautionary procedure that I have been trained in since the age of 11 was followed.”

If he pointed a mounted laser sight at Williams than this is a complete lie since you NEVER EVER EVER EVER point the barrel of a weapon at a human being you don’t want dead, no matter the “known” state of said weapon. That is exactly how people get killed.

This is total bullshit.

Every firearms safety source ever says you never point firearms at another person unless you intend to shoot them.

And if you have a firearm pointed at you, then you are in danger. The are any number of things which could lead to you accidentally being shot. This is why you are taught to never point firearms at people.

Rule 1 of gun safety, from someone who has shot more rounds than most persons here*, is NEVER POINT YOUR GUN AT SOMETHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO SHOOT. That’s remedial level gun safety. If you do not want something to be dead, you do not point a gun at it. Ever.

*military vets excepted

I wonder how he got a carry permit in New York.

A fairly pro-gun story:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/03/28/three-burglars-entered-an-oklahoma-home-the-owners-son-opened-fire-with-an-ar-15-deputies-say/?tid=pm_national_pop

The intruders — a 16-year-old, a 17-year-old and a man thought to be 18 or 19 — had smashed open the back door of the house, the Wagoner County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement posted to Facebook. Their plan was burglary, authorities said. They wore gloves, masks and all-black clothes, Wagoner County Deputy Nick Mahoney told Tulsa World. Two of the teenagers were armed, one with a knife and the other with brass knuckles. The trio reportedly exchanged words with the 23-year-old son of the homeowner, whose name has also not been released. He fired on them with an AR-15, a popular semiautomatic rifle, officials told Fox 23.

All three died, two in the house and one in the driveway after (apparently) being shot while inside the house and making it a few steps outside before dying of his wounds.

Kind of an aside, but a fourth burglar did not enter the house and was not shot at or harmed. She later turned herself into police and is actually being charged with the murder of her friends.

Authorities later said the suspected getaway driver, Elizabeth Rodriguez, turned herself in at the Broken Arrow Police Department, the Tulsa World reported. The 21-year-old was arrested on charges of first degree murder, three counts, as well as three counts of burglary. “A person who is committing a felony when a death occurs can be charged with felony murder,” Tulsa World explained.

Hah, charging her with murder when it’s the perps who died is just adding insult to injury!

Yay, three people died…

Don’t break into other folks’ houses.

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the intruders. I wish they hadn’t died, but that falls under “play stupid games, win stupid prizes.” I do feel bad for the girl accomplice though. It would seem that charging someone with murder, when they turn themselves in, and when the homeowner/son was the person that killed her friends would be a big disincentive for anyone ever turning themselves in for similar crimes.