All-purpose gun legislation thread

Interesting article - more full of statistics than solutions, but still. Reading it, I was reminded that our current gun-control tradition largely started with whites freaking out over the Black Panthers exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

If you feel you have failed in your heart, isn’t that punishment enough?

"Addressing a report showing gun thefts are up in the deep south, an NRA spokesperson said any attempt to criminalize gun owners for not locking up their weapons would be the same as ‘shaming rape survivors.’ "

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/nra-spokesperson-fining-gun-owners-for-not-securing-their-weapons-is-just-like-shaming-rape-survivors/

It’s always cute when journalists go learn to shoot.

Odd, but at least plausible scenario for an accidental discharge.

Knowing you should just let it hit the ground is one thing, human reactions are another.
Also a good case for having safeties on firearms, but most police and feds don’t.

It might have had a trigger safety. Unfortunately by pulling the trigger, even accidentally, that negates the safety.

Possible, though most law enforcement weapons just have really heavy pulls.

A trigger safety usually requires something else to engage. Like a 1911 requires your hand to be on the back of the weapon to engage the trigger. It also has a mechanical safety on top of it.

Odds are it was a Glock which effectively doesn’t have one, though, ironically, they can’t ever go off if you drop them.

No. Example: Costco and Sam’s Club. Is it unusual to buy a case of toilet paper? Of course not. You’ll eventually use it.

On a range day I can easily go through 100 rounds, and that isn’t a long amount of time at the range, with a handgun. What if others go with me?

It’s really not that much until it’s a news nugget. Ex: “the suspect was found with hundreds (or thousands) of rounds of ammunition!”

Nah. Can’t be a thing. No way.

Not technically gun legislation, but you can’t separate the NRA and their insanity from it.

I’d love to know if that was a nationwide store display directive, or did the hunting & camping employee at that store just decide to fuck with everyone.

I can’t imagine that came down from corporate. Seems more likely that an employee saw the merch sign for, say, a GoPro and thought it’d be funny.

Of course, I couldn’t imagine the number of things that have happened since 9 November.

Only the government and certain people are allowed to have guns.

Pretty sure that’s what the second amendment says.

Also if the government kills you for having guns, that’s fine. As long as the law doesn’t say they can take them away.

There is something about a well regulated miltia.