All-purpose gun legislation thread

As long as they kill you with guns.

Griffith wrote that these courts hadn’t done the “historical digging” that would expose the flaws in their analysis.

Ultimately I guess I’m in favor of the result, but I question the methods given history.

https://twitter.com/egavactip/status/902267659533918213

In a lawsuit filed in Isabella County Trial Court two weeks ago, the longtime members allege that those with militia ties have boosted membership to take control of the board, have turned the club into a military-type organization, and that a submachine gun shooting event and a militaristic tactical training was held, both against wishes of the membership.

Suspect in custody. No motive yet.

How does this happen and no one gets arrested?

http://images2.onionstatic.com/onion/2648/4/original/800.jpg

I did some distance driving in the last few days, which allowed me to work through my podcast episode backlog. Among them was the More Perfect (Radiolab’s series about Supreme Court decisions) episode on the 2nd amendment.

Highly recommended. I’m too young to remember before the NRA was a lobbying organization, so it was extremely interesting to hear the history from the 60s and 70s that led up to it becoming a lobbying juggernaut in the 80s.

I also second More Perfect. Very well done and informative stuff. It did an episode on the history, including one crazy court packing example on the eve of Jeffersons inauguration. Everyone should go give a listen.

Third for More Perfect. Awesome stuff.

That’s dangerous. Airplane peanuts can be used as ammunition.

This idiot again.

I don’t understand how the hellfire doesn’t leak out of her nostrils while speaking.

I no expert in American history, but wouldn’t Lincoln qualify for “most ruthless attack”? Bonus, was a Republican too…

A lot of people don’t know Lincoln was a Republican!

Those are hunting rifles and shotguns. It’s hunting season. In many of the upper open states, hunting season is a big tourism industry. Yes, I know how odd that sounds. They sell them at, or in many cases near the airport so that you do not have to fly with a weapon to come hunting. They can also arrange to ship the weapon back to an FFL licensed dealer near you when you depart.

I would wager very high odds that the person who posted that tweet sat in the plane with approximately 50% + passengers wearing camo. Been there, done that, I was shocked until it was explained to me. Hunting, especially pheasant and deer, are a major thing for some of those states. Next time I head up there I’ll see if I can get a picture of the passengers on the plane. It is pretty surreal.

If this is a problem that needs correcting, the better way to approach it would be with laws preventing out of state hunting. Good luck with that.

Guess you haven’t seen this.
http://www.kdlt.com/2017/10/22/false-post-guns-sold-airport-goes-viral/

Larson set up rifles, shot guns and hand guns at the Sioux Falls airport for display purposes only.

“The guns were secured and everything was fine; not loaded, no ammo,” says Larson.

After seeing the firearms, a traveler from New York tweeted pictures of Larson’s booth on Friday with the caption “just landed in Sioux Falls. They are selling guns at the airport.”

“What,” responds Larson. “I think that was our first thought: what?”

Even though the statement is not true, the tweet was re-tweeted more than 8,000 times, with many posting negative comments about it.

Noted. Still, I’ve seen similar (perhaps they didn’t sell them AT the airport.) As explained to me, it wasn’t at all uncommon for out of state hunters to purchase guns during the trip. I’m guessing the actual WTF part was selling them AT the airport? I have surely seen hunting supply stores not far from them though.

One of many official South Dakota hunting sites.

No permit, licensing, or registration is required for purchasing hunting firearm in a lot of those states.

Seems like God is protecting people about as well as our gun laws.