All-purpose gun legislation thread

More in line with my expectations for a discussion about mass murder.

Those look like little kids backpacks, as in the kids that take the backpack off once they get to school and put them on when they leave. So they’ll have half-ass protection about 10-15 minutes before and after school?

Look, libtards:

A Serious Journalist in the beating heart of USA Today’s Meme Generation Unit fucked up some details about guns.

If you need more evidence about why regulating firearms in any way is anti-American, well, that’s not Real America’s fault.

There’s always this if you think the kids need more armor:

This is so depressing. I guess this allows us to stick our heads in the sand and pretend it will help, about as useful as hiding under a desk during a nuclear blast.

Hey, I was told that would *save my life!

* - as long as the blast was .00000000000000000000000000001 megatons yield or less

Chainsaw bayonet is awesome.

I swore the “no guns in schools” thing was a federal law.

So basically a copy and paste of the last AWB… that lost the Dems Congress and got a ton of the GOP elected.
Plus bump stocks or something.

Sure, just hand the GOP the next election after your huge win.

Also gotta watch those… telescoping stocks. And pistol grips. FFS.

They just don’t learn. This is a single issue for so many. Just reinforces this. The Republicans are probably high fiveing each other now.

that’s okay feinstein is retiring because she’s a million years old anyway right?

right?

So what’s the solution? Let the 2nd amendment gang have whatever they want in perpetuity?

In terms of policy outcomes in the current year, yes. There are no actual alternatives, only posturing. Leave it alone for now.

It’s like running on legalized gay marriage, in 1990. You may be right, but you will lose the election until society comes around to that point of view. That sea change happened with regard to LGBT rights, and it may happen with guns at some point. But it has to happen from the ground up, not from Washington DC down.

Well, I hope too many more tens of thousands of people don’t have to be murdered until ‘society comes around,’ whatever that means (from what I’ve read, the influence of gun enthusiasts and the NRA on the congressional election process far outweighs their proportion of the population and doesn’t align with gun-control poll responses).

Part of the problem is that many of these proposals are flat-out stupid. Banning any assault rifle with a “pistol grip” is asinine. Unless you meant to ban just about every firearm manufactured after 1930, you’re just wasting everyone’s time. Proposals like this just fuel the idea that the gun control people don’t know what they’re talking about.

It seems to be by school district. We have a district here, mine, that allows weapons now for teachers. It happened around Sandy Hook I believe, and made news.

That’s exactly what will have to happen. Sandy Hook didn’t move the needle, at least not visibly. That means we’ll need more and perhaps worse before anything really changes (as hard as that is to imagine).

That’s fucking awful. But until we have a bunch of single issue gun control voters in this country, the NRA’s outsize influence will continue. You can’t change that by introducing bills in Congress. That only provides fodder for the NRA’s “Dems want to take your guns” fearmongering. Hell, there will be a Dana Loesch TV spot up on this bill within a week.

Whittle away with reasonable, smaller things. Don’t go full on Assault ban. For example, I think having licensing / training requirements so people know how to handle & store firearms safely would drastically reduce a lot of the accidental gun deaths that occur.

Of course this has it’s own problem because 95% of the gun owners I know don’t want any list of any guns they own because THEN THEY’LL COME FOR MY GUNS. But I think this is a reasonable place to start.

Assault Rifle type of bans are just going to be met with too much resistance and while it’s been said ad nausea, semi-automatics fall largely into this group. You’re not going to get people to give up those, so just quit trying.

The solution is to make reasonable changes once you hold power.
Don’t campaign on those issues.