All-purpose gun legislation thread

This is like on of those who claimed they are the good guys who owned guns and who’s to say the “good guys” might not get in rage and started rampage such as this?

Nationwide issuance of flak jackets? Introduction of “smart” bullets? New tech discovery allowing save anywhere feature in daily life? NRA members agreeing to act as human shields for the rest of us?

I’m sure it’s just something to do with the bump trigger issue. And it’ll be easily bypassed.

Not guns but…

Reading over the rest of those laws, I wondered what the hell “lunch shaming” was.

Holding children publicly accountable for unpaid school lunch bills — by throwing away their food, providing a less desirable alternative lunch or branding them with markers — is often referred to as “lunch shaming.”

The practice is widespread — a 2014 report from the Department of Agriculture found that nearly half of all districts used some form of shaming to compel parents to pay bills. (About 45 percent withheld the hot meal and gave a cold sandwich, while 3 percent denied food entirely.)

A Pennsylvania cafeteria worker posted on Facebook that she had quit after being forced to take lunch from a child with an unpaid bill. In Alabama, a child was stamped on the arm with “I Need Lunch Money.” On one day, a Utah elementary school threw away the lunches of about 40 students with unpaid food bills.

WTF

Yup. Reminded me of this story from earlier this year:

I was talking to my sister in Texas this week and was surprised to hear about how many people in a very Republican area lie about their income to qualify for the reduced school lunch program. Bitch and bitch about handouts then you lie to take advantage and keep needy kids from benefiting. Should lunch shame those assholes.

How does she know how many people lie about their incomes?

Next you’ll tell us they believe in small government, but love war and don’t want to touch Medicare!

It’s a start - and it’s bi-partisan, which I didn’t think possible really.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Whether it stops criminals or not, you might as well make the dumb thing work right. A brief search reveals the biggest complaint against background checks is the high false positive rate. I know a lot of people whine about customer service nightmares like that, but those things never bother me. I assume a little patience and persistence is all you need to get it straightened out.

Does this even get out of the House?

She works for the school district and has to verify people on a random basis.

Depends on Ryan I would guess (i.e. does it come to the floor, if so I think enough Republicans would support it to pass.)

Nice little writeup at NPR about why mass shootings aren’t treated like a public health threat.

Not new news - I’ve posted similar articles myself in the past - but it’s always good to keep it in mind. It’s not just that we’re not willing to control guns in the US - we’re not even willing to do scientific research that might possible someday maybe lead to a gun control recommendation.

And 3D printing isn’t even rolling yet. Wee!

Fortunately, the serial number registration requirement in 2019 will keep this all under control, I’m sure.

“People who think a gun registry would be used to take their guns are conspiracy theorists.”
Meanwhile:

I can see how some people might get a little dismayed, but only if they think there’s no reason to ever be disqualified from gun ownership. Which I guess is a sizeable chunk of people, now that I think about it.

Not sure where else to put this. This story about several teenage friends who survived the Las Vegas shooting is heartbreaking. Even the girls who weren’t injured by the shooter will carry trauma from that night for the rest of their lives. If this isn’t a good a reason as any to promote common sense gun legislation, than I don’t know what is. The idiotic “they just want to take our guns” people need to love someone who is affected the way these kids were affected by gun violence.

To be clear, I am not anti-gun ownership, just the opposite. I grew up around responsible gun owners, know how to handle firearms safely and responsibly, and support everyone’s right to do the same. I also support legislation and regulation that would include closing the gun show loophole, requiring waiting periods and enforcing background checks both criminal and mental health, and the banning of accessories like bump stocks that effectively create automatic weapons out of semi-automatic ones. None of that impacts responsible gun owners rights to bear arms, and while it won’t bring an end to mass shooter events, it would likely reduce them.