All-purpose gun legislation thread

If Sarah Brady were still alive, she’d shake her head and say “No not that either really.”

Has taken nearly $4 million in contributions from the NRA. Guess some high school kids today were needed to water that ol’ Tree of Liberty.

You’re not going to fix it until you pull a reverse NRA. Make it a non negotiable policy decision. You’re not for gun control? No votes for you, no matter your other positions. Have ads calling you names, make anti gun control equal pro murder. Etc.

Otherwise, it’s just people who might feel strongly about the issue against people who make it their number one issue, and we’re talking harassing people who lost family in mass shootings number one issue.

If the horror of Sandy Hook didn’t change opinion in any meaningful way, I just don’t know what is going to. Maybe in a generation or two, but I’ve just resigned myself to the fact that kids in this country are going to have to be sacrificed for our collective gun fetish.

Have you read about the history of the NRA, how it went from a rational organization into what it is today? Because reading that, you get your answer. Do what they did, but in reverse. They managed to change public opinion into what it is today, change it back.

The price we must pay for the continuation of our bizarre death cult.

I’m pretty much out words on this topic. The solution is both obvious and impossible. Kids are gonna keep dying and nothing will get done.

The only thing worse than a bunch of kindergartner’s being gunned down would be babies, like a nursery. Seriously though if that wasn’t enough, I can’t imagine what else could do it in terms of an event.

Sandy Hook didn’t do it. Nothing will.

17 plus dead.

I wonder what the GOP response would be to a gunman in the House Chamber. Actually, I know what it would be. If the gunner was a minority or an immigrant or a leftist it would just mean a doubling down on fascism. If by some fluke it was a white rightist, he’d be mentally ill, what a tragedy, plus the alternate-facts narrative would be presented that it was really a leftist plot.

Well I assume that the response of many GOP congressmen would be to die. Their NRA- funded replacements would send T&P, form a prayer circle, then do nothing.

I think it would be exactly the same as their reaction to a gunman at a GOP baseball practice. Maybe they’d be a bit more cavalier about it if more of the Other Side were casualties.

Geez you’re optimistic, I don’t think they’d bother to form a prayer circle. They might volunteer to speak at one about their upcoming reelection campaign.

17 dead this time.

WTF Bowie time travelling from 2013?
“Valentine told me who’s to go
Feelings he’s treasured most of all
The teachers and the football star
It’s in his tiny face
It’s in his scrawny hand
Valentine told me so
He’s got something to say
It’s Valentine’s Day”

Pretty much.

Republicans lack empathy until it happens to them.

At least the pols do.

If someone shoots up Phillips Exeter or Andover, Republican politicians may start to care. Probably not, though. The GOP isn’t as patrician as it used to be.

At this point, I don’t even care. Bunch more dead kids? Ho hum.

Given the amount of defeatism I have seen in this thread, I think it could be true for anyone.