All-purpose gun legislation thread

True.

At least the mail carriers have managed to reclaim their good name is the one silver lining

OMG the dumb fundie right wing is now thinking “what if we home school?”

That’s right in their wheelhouse. Make America Stupider. And before you want to tell me about the benefits of home schooling, don’t. I’m sure many of the people on this forum would do a great job of teaching their children at home.

I’m talking about Republican, Fox news watching, fundamentalist assholes. Deplorables training new deplorables.

How did you decide on this charity? I offer no judgment either way, just curious. I did a search since I’d never heard of everytown before and it’s not really showing much:

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?keyword_list=everytown&bay=search.results

Jimmy Kimmel likes it too.

Jimmy Kimmel!

What a weird world where I see this as a legit endorsement.

My wife works in GVP, and would suggest https://giffords.org/ as a better national organization.

I haven’t followed this sad story except to read about the FBI’s admitted failure and the sheriff department’s admitted failure.

It’s… well, I won’t say funny, but it’s interesting that government fails, and the response is for citizens to lose rights. It reminds me of 9/11.

It’s also similar to the common bureaucracy shell game where they fail and get rewarded with a larger budget to try again next year.

They catch a lot of these guys. It doesn’t usually make the news, but there have been dozens of recent stories of local law enforcement intervening in what appeared to be plans for mass murders.

But they won’t catch every one. In retrospect, it will always look obvious, just as 9/11 did. But law enforcement and intelligence are made up of people, and they are going to miss things. That is a certainty. And we also ‘lose rights’ if they go too far in stepping up interventions before any crime has been committed.

Saying “they shouldn’t have made those mistakes” is true, but that does not mean that “don’t make mistakes” is a solution.

Tim you are leaving out a huge point. HUGE. Which is, the attacker abused his rights and committed mass murder. He took advantage of the opportunity created by our widespread availability of guns to commit an atrocity.

So this is MUCH more than a government failure. There’s also a massive issue of individual culpability and exploitation of the availability of weapons.

When rights get abused, it is perfectly reasonable to consider making changes to those rights. It’s not always a good idea to take rights away (I agree with you about 9/11) but it’s not at all unreasonable to consider it.

Very much this.

There is also no real right to own a specific weapon. It’s legal to ban AR-15’s, though I doubt it would make a difference in these sorts of things, the limited data disagrees with me to an extent.

As far as taking actual rights away… I’d have to disagree there. Though, again, owning a particular model of firearm isn’t a right. I’m an anomaly and if I keep my 1911 and Garand I don’t really care all that much, though a lot of people seem to think people would stand for people coming after them (ie the ‘all semi-automatics should be banned’ people). I think the support for that would be pretty damned low.

Florida senate approved AR-15 ban…

Yay!

…for 15 minutes before rescinding it

Shit.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/376586-florida-senate-approved-ar-15-ban-for-15-minutes-before-rescinding-it?amp

Focusing on the AR-15 in isolation is missing the big picture and a bit silly, IMO. The problem isn’t limited to that particular rifle.

but sure would be a good start.

Not really. If that weapon got cracked down on then a super similar ZR-15 or somesuch would hit the market immediately.

My big fear is that do-nothing feel-good legislation will be used to soothe an upset populace and then nothing will really change.

That’s such a defeatist attitude. And for some reason it’s an attitude that people only ever apply to guns.

First, yes we do have evidence that banning assault rifles works:

Second, we’ll never know more unless we actually try.

Progress is always incremental. But nothing will happen if we don’t try anything in the first place.

they just want to look like they’re trying. this is a great summary though, thank you.