All-purpose gun legislation thread

Then she probably isn’t liable for his actions.

I mean, let’s be honest, it won’t help because no one thinks their kid is gonna do these things.

If you have kids and don’t have a way to lock up your weapons, you’re playing with fire in a ton of ways. Your kids taking them and shooting up a place is waaaaaay down on the list though. Statistically it’s akin to winning the lottery. Far more likely they’ll shoot someone or themselves accidentally.

My dad never locked much up. Hell, I don’t lock anything up either, but I also live alone and don’t have kids. If one of my cats somehow shoots me then I’ll just accept it was my time.

We should repeal the 2nd Amendment, study other first-world countries’ gun legislation, and then implement such laws as, based on those examples, will minimize gun deaths in our country. Law enforcement will begin with a generous buyback and grace period, followed by strict enforcement.

Not politically possible? No worries, I’m not a politician. I’m just sitting here on the sidelines watching the madness.

Yeah, this is the obvious path. The good so far outweighs the bad that the social calculus of utilitarianism makes a ban (or Sullivan-law-like quasi-ban) seem like the only possible course of action.

Except for the whole pissing off a hell of a lot of people with guns.

. While it is possible that current gun owners would meekly accept an Australian like ban on guns, it is not a bet I’d want to risk. I think a 2nd American Civil War would make the Syrian civil war seem bloodless

I’d definitely be sending them my hopes and prayers, though.

Yeah yeah, we already acknowledge it’s “politically impossible”. But the prospect of annoying people with guns sure didn’t bother the founding fathers – see the revolution itself, and then later the whiskey rebellion…

True. But they didn’t have Fox News to contend with. Those jerks are just drooling over getting to cover and, more to the point, foment about something like this.

There was propaganda, to be sure, but not on this scale.

-xtien

If your bosses aren’t interested in promoting you, is it always your fault? The feeling is surprisingly similar. (Workplace violence is also pretty common in the US, AFAIK.)

And, yes, people collude. (‘Hazing’ is a good example of semi-institutionalized bullying, and is common in places like the military.)

The only way this comparison works is if walk away from disappointment with my boss when I am not promoted and then declare the next morning that all boss kind, in the entire world, is at fault for my misery and therefore they need to be punished or eradicated which is not even close to how I feel.

I do not feel I am entitled to a promotion. On occasion I feel like I earned it, and it wasn’t because I woke up one morning breathing with a dick like some of these kids seem to feel. It’s not… the same at all. Her son is not entitled to a girlfriend, and if he doesn’t have one, it’s not the fault of every lesbian on the planet or any girl who might have said no thank you once.

In today’s edition of “anything but guns”:

Oh, violent video games take 43.

"Psychologists and psychiatrists will tell you that students are desensitized to violence. Many have lost empathy to their victims by watching hours and hours of video, violent games,” he said.

Patrick also pointed to the bullying between adults and children on social media platforms. “We have to look at ourselves,” he continued. “It’s not about the guns; it’s about us.”

I wonder if he even knows that violent video and games aren’t exclusive to the US. I wonder what is different than us and China, Russia, England, or anywhere else? Hmmm. Easily available and tons of Guns in half the homes?

Nah, that’s not it.

Wow, this moron’s all over the place, trying to vomit up excuses that don’t include the word ‘gun’.

Maybe they feel like this as a result of some abuse? But since nobody is talking about it, I guess it is for the rest of society’s benefit.

What I’m saying is that teenage suicides are not the only consequences of bullying/teasing.

I know we’re all gamers (e.g., gaming enthusiasts) but isn’t it possible that denying any contribution of violent games to the problem is similar to how gun enthusiasts deny any contribution of easily available firearms to the problem?

It’s a strawman to say that violent games can’t be the sole cause (e.g., other countries have violent games!). I think it’s a complex problem with a number of variables, which have different contributions to the problem. I don’t think you can just hand wave away the possible effects of violent entertainment (games, movies, TV) to the issue.

If the issue is people who are prone to violence being affected by a game… A hard maybe.

A problem that has managed to mostly only affect guys, and not just guys, but white guys in schools even though all the other groups are also exposed to the same material… and of course that material is also available outside the country but the other countries don’t seem to have that same problem. I’d love to see supporting data for that, you know, if only one group wasn’t so pro-gun they didn’t strangle funds away from research like they do.

They’re saying today that one of the girls might have been targeted because she told the murderer she wasn’t interested.

All of your factors equally apply to the vector of readily accessible firearms. Again, this type of knee-jerk “games can’t play a factor!” is the type of partisan argument that you see from gun enthusiasts. Are violent video games a primary factor? Highly unlikely. But the dismissive stuff you see from gamers concluding that violent games cannot be part of the problem isn’t coming from objective analysis.

Abbott RAFFLING OFF SHOTGUN