All-purpose gun legislation thread

We did a few elementary school nuke drills in the 70s and we were told where the fallout shelters were (basement of the bank downtown). By the time I was in grade school it had shifted to a presentation where it boiled down to, “Yeah, there’s a nuclear plant pretty close by. That’ll be a target, so we’re all gonna die. Hope that doesn’t happen!”

We did nuke drills in elementary school, but that was because we were on Mather Air Force Base near Sacramento. We had B52’s doing take-off and landing drills all the time.

I was in school from '79 or 80 and never did a drill. Maryland and Massachusetts.

I can’t imagine bomb drills and tornado drills being the same as lockdown drills though. The idea that you’d have to practice for someone stalking the halls shooting children is horrific.

I agree but some people who haven’t been in school in decades, they don’t seem to think it’s that big of deal. I mean we’re talking about a group that has already decided that we’re not going to do anything to try and help with this situation with meaningful change, the group that is okay with more of the same because some guy stands in front of them and tells them their troubles are this other group, and this group wants your guns.

As a kid, I sort of understood the nuke drills were dumb. I knew a nuke going off on/in Mather would mean instant death for me and my friends since the school was about half a mile from the airfield. But it was that vague child notion of death, so it wasn’t very real feeling. Nukes were an abstract fear.

School shootings are different because they can and do happen.

Update on backflip mcshooty-guy.

It’s witchcraft, y’all. Witchcraft and witch spells.

Please tell me that’s not real.

Oh, it’s fucking real.

Well, at least they didn’t single-out voodoo. Progress.

I feel liked blinked andI missed something. Why is the NRA talking about witchcraft?

They got their feelings hurt?

I like this line from the article:

We all know that gun control is based mainly on magical thinking.

I’d rather kids bring magic wands to school than guns.

Well things never seem to be dull these days. We don’t even need movies anymore. You can’t make shit up better than stuff like this.

That’s what sucks about this country. From the horrendous things that happen in families, to the awful stuff going on in government, I wish it was all boring because people were stable, cared about their fellow man/woman/t, and were considerate to infinity. And sciencey.

22 injured in New Jersey shooting.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/17/us/new-jersey-art-festival-shooting/index.html

Police identified the suspect as Tahaij Wells, 33, who is believed to have been killed by police, prosecutor Angelo Onofri said. Wells had just been released from prison on homicide-related charges, Onofri said. Officials have also charged Amir Armstrong, 23, on weapons offenses.
“It absolutely could have been worse given the confined space and the number of shots that appear to have been fired,” Onofri said.

The shooting appears to be the result of a gang dispute, he said. It is not related to terrorism.

Prior to the shooting, Onofri said there were “numerous altercations” inside and outside the festival. Police had been trying to shut the festival down.

This is why you absolutely cannot trust self defense claims when there are no eye witnesses:

And she was found not guilty. But probably because they stupidly charged her with first-degree murder. Even I can see that she didn’t pre-meditate killing him. It actually looked like she was holding down the trigger when she pulled the slide.

Dumb charge.

I didn’t understand that either. My first thought was oh my god they found her not guilty with that video and then I saw first degree… what?