All-purpose gun legislation thread

This guy is running for State Senator in Arizona. He likes guns because he once had to fend off a gunman; it was lucky he was armed.

Well, maybe the gunman was his mom, and she and his sister died that night.

Well, maybe he confessed to murdering them, then recanted that confession before his murder trial, saying he had amnesia.

Anyway, same difference, good thing he had a gun that fateful night! And don’t forget to vote!

Just had a major shooting in Toronto a few hours ago. Mainly newsworthy because it’s Toronto. Nine people shot, gunman dead. No motive so far. Toronto has had a rash of shootings recently. I assume almost all of the guns are possessed illegally.

Toronto shooting have traditionally been gang related. This one appears to be random person decides to just randomly shoot people.

I’m reading the background on the NRA-Russia connection. There’s a concern that foreign money was illegally used to fund the Trump campaign. I’m sure the FBI will raid their books and give us a thumbs up or thumbs down. I hope they weren’t that stupid, but I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

The spy connection seems kind of moot to me. Perhaps the NRA was duped by a fake organization to support gun rights in Russia – which is definitely stupid of them, since Putin would never allow individual liberty like that – but isn’t that kind of pointless now that Trump has openly invited Putin to the White House? They spent all that time trying to open up back channels when Trump is driving an excavator to Moscow.

EDIT: I suppose closing the barn door after the horse has bolted is kind of what federal investigators do. So that makes more sense.

Regardless, it’s a helpful lesson to think twice about foreigners expressing interest in your special interest.

You’re saying that like those back channels aren’t the reason it’s happening.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Well, maybe. But in terms of conspiracy theories, I find it more believeable (and more harmful) that Russia has something on Trump than the idea that he’s suddenly best friends with them because the NRA went on a junket.

Unless you mean that’s how they communicated the blackmail terms.

I don’t think the NRA infiltration is why Trump is suddenly best friends, but I do think it might explain why the NRA went full “kill your fellow citizens for disagreeing with you,” which helps Russia and Trump.

Also it gave Russia access to a shitload of Congresscritters and the like.

I must have missed the form letter that told me to kill people that disagree with me.

It’s probably a few pages after the one they always lead with, where it says the next federal election is the most critical one in the history of America, and they need my support!!!

I agree that approaching special interest groups with feigned interest seems like a great attack vector for both communication and money. I’m surprised no one thought of it sooner…

They hired Loesch for that part. It’s all she does for them near as I can tell.

You’re in a tough spot when you campaigned against Trump like she did and he ends up winning. What kind of angle do you run with for the next 4 years? Hate is the only common ground!

Only if you have morals or actually believe the shit you say.

I mean… she used to be a liberal. I’m fairly sure her only ideology is whatever someone tells her it is this week.

Kind of surprised that the whole “printable gun” ballyhoo hasn’t come up here yet.

This is effectively a rehash of the same debate back in 2013 when this same group wanted to release plans for a 3D-printable gun and the Obama administration used international treaties to shut them down. Trump’s administration has declined to pursue the matter, so a few States have taken up the fight.

In my opinion, it’s a hopeless battle – a delaying action only. The plans are already out there if you look hard enough. That’s not to say that the release shouldn’t be fought, but I think that the energy should be turned into making it illegal (or maybe illegalER) to own an unregistered 3D-printed firearm.

Yeah, I’m not sure what they can do about it. I think this is a lot like the pipe bomb plans you can find everywhere. Pipe bombs are dead simple to make (as long you ignore the inherent danger of messing with homemade explosives) so the crime is put on the person making them, not the person publishing instructions.

I guess this goes here?

Plus the plans were already released because of a previous decision.

I love how the narrative is that they’re plastic and omg airplanes or something.

Cause bullets don’t have metal in them.

You are legally allowed to manufacture your own firearms.

It is already illegal to make or own fully plastic firearms that are undetectable to metal detectors.

There’s no real threat here, and I’m not really Keen on my state blocking access to sections of the internet containing information they think is harmful. That’s the kind of thing China does.

Yup. In the late 70s, a Princeton physics student tried publish a paper on how to build a nuclear bomb. The FBI was not amused and tried to stop it being published, ultimately it was. The hard part of a nuclear bomb isn’t the info on how to build it is obtaining the uranium or plutonium.

Thoughtful article by David French, on 3-D guns

I haven’t been following this too closely. Doesn’t the printed gun need a metal barrel insert and a metal firing pin at the very least?