All-purpose gun legislation thread

From that story:

The young man accused of killing five people in Louisiana was arrested Sunday morning in Richmond County, Virginia, after briefly pointing a weapon at deputies, Sheriff Steve Smith said.

Emphasis mine. White kids get to point guns at police and then get taken into custody. Those with a darker complexion aren’t afforded such luxuries.

I’m glad the officers were able to take him without any further violence. They’re setting a great example of what can be accomplished when circumstances permit. Let’s hope to see more of this in the future.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said 27-year-old Daylon Delon Gamble was arrested Sunday in Indianapolis by the U.S. Marshal’s Service. Gamble, who was wanted on four charges of murder in the shootings Thursday night in Rockmart, about 45 miles northwest of Atlanta, was taken into custody without incident, according to GBI news release.

Looks like the Marshall’s Service in Indiana broke protocol and let a black guy suspected of shooting a bunch of people live long enough to get arrested. Local PD will probably never let them live that one down.

Somehow this 4-year-old managed to locate, reach, and crack open the gun safe, find and load the ammunition, put a bullet in the chamber, and turn off the safety before shooting pregnant mom in the face. Oh wait, no he didn’t because the the unsecured, loaded gun was just laying around out in the open while mom and boyfriend were in another room watching TV.

Gonna go out on a limb here but if being shot in the face isn’t enough incentive to stop someone from being careless with a gun, I am thinking a $1,000 dollar fine and even jail time won’t do much. At best these people are careless, and worst they’re arrogant idiots.

And if you are that careless with guns, your right to own them should be revoked. That should be part of the penalty.

Better the negligent parent than the poor kid shooting himself. But seriously, no gun owner ever leaves their gun in the open like that. Every gun owner I’ve ever known, or talked to, or read on a forum, they all lock their guns up in the safe with quadruple locks and store the ammo miles away in a secured location.

Well, of course they all say they do. And yet, things like this keep happening.

The problem is that safe gun ownership is basically in conflict with the reasons they own the gun in the first place. They own the gun because they want be able to shoot the intruder they imagine is coming to get them. But if you store the gun safely, you wouldn’t be able to get it and load it in time to live out that fantasy.

These private home security companies need to start positioning themselves for a new market. Hell, ADT is already perfectly positioned. Automated Defense Turret?

That shit sells itself.

I would pay to have Poe in my house.

Poor Poe. He finally finds a friend…

There are fancy fast-access gun safes out there for that.

https://imgur.com/gallery/W3NlQ49

Therearedozens.gif

Well a year ago a bunch of kids died in Florida, but at least it was for a good cause. We’d never have all these tighter gun laws and background checks, etc, without their sacrifice. All that thinking and praying has paid off! RIP kids.

We have so little repetitive forum snark that yours tends to stand out.

I’d never argue that the glass is half-full, but there IS some water in the glass.

Since Parkland, eight states passed gun-control laws that make it harder for people with “red flag” issues to get guns. Eleven states (and there is some overlap) passed bills that make it illegal for people convicted of domestic abuse crimes to get guns.

Eventually (and grudgingly), the Feds have banned “bump stocks”… though this one is probably more related to the Las Vegas shooting.

Dicks Sporting Goods won’t sell any firearms that look like military rifles and ceased selling to anyone under 21 years of age, even if local laws would allow it. Walmart followed suit.

90% of NRA-supported bills were rejected, both at the Federal and State levels.

And less easy to measure, the NRA has lot a lot of clout and influence. Being an NRA-supporter is starting to be a net negative, even in Red districts.

Is this enough change, or really significant? Maybe not, depending on where you fall on the gun-control spectrum. But it is arguably more movement than we got in the year after Sandy Hook.

Not nearly enough. In fact we’ve gone backwards in many parts of our country.
23 states have expanded the rights of gun owners, expanding the stand your right rules and allowing gun owners to take guns into churches or parking lots of business that had previously banned guns.

So… yeah, not enough. Not enough at all.

The 2nd amendment protection should be restricted to people that are part of a militia. If you aren’t part of a militia, then your ownership of a gun should be regulated in the same why we regulate cars and trucks, or dangerous narcotics.

Appreciate the summary, thanks. It’s a start but logic and reason say that we have a hell of a long way to go. I’m just sick of the numbers when you compare the US to every other country in the world when it comes to gun violence.