All-purpose gun legislation thread

I think that’s fair, in that even the state troopers don’t have any legal responsibility either.

But I think beyond that, there’s the practical aspect of local enforcement being elected locally, and thus only held responsible by the local electorate.

Tell it to this guy

Okay, it’s significant.

Is it right? Is it constitutional?

(I don’t know because I haven’t looked. I’m just poking at politics junkies.)

It’s just Universal Background Checks, so it’s certainly constitutional.

Yeah, but if we do reasonable background checks for gun purchases, then only bad guys will have guns in schools. Clearly this bill should be voted down immediately by the Senate.

Future Narrator: It was.

BS. In Ohio, most police training programs don’t require 700 hours in total training, let alone firearms training.

700 hours of firearms training is a very questionable number. Because that’s a LOT of fucking time. Let’s assume you are on the range two hours a day, which is a lot of range time. You’d have to do it every day for a fucking year to hit 700 hours. There is no fucking way.

Hell, the cost in ammunition would probably exceed your salary with that much range time.

I googled it but withdrew the comment after I realized ddtibbs specified OH. In general policy academy training is 880-960 hours and firearm training is 110.

Okay? These aren’t police officers though. They’re just private citizens, requiring them to do as much time as cops is silly unless you’re giving them badges.

Edit: Also we’ve seen where police training leads anyway. I’d rather have someone with zero hours and respect for human life with a gun than someone who has muscle memory to instantly kill anything that mildly startles him.

Yeah I know. Just supporting the statement that police don’t undergo 700 hours of firearm training.

Of course the private citizen will also lack the blue shield of protection if they do shoot someone so I assume they’d be a bit more careful than a cop. Campus staff waling around with concealed guns is bound to end in disaster anyways in my opinion.

Eh, maybe. I don’t see any magical reason to treat universities different than everyplace else though.
I can carry a gun into Wendy’s or to the grocery store and nothing happens. But if I take one to a class I’m teaching suddenly it’s a big deal? I guess I don’t see it. Odds are most staff would get tired of hauling the thing around and leave in their offices after a couple months anyway.

Ah, my bad, I read “campus” as high school, not college.

Actually I think you read it correctly and I didn’t.

They’re talking about local school districts in the article, so presumably that’s high schools and kindergartens and whatever.

On that subject… I dunno I’m still leaning towards it doesn’t matter, but now the issue of teachers getting lazy is a far bigger issue. If a college professor leaves a gun in their office, it doesn’t really matter. If a teacher leaves a gun in their desk… well kids root around in weird places when they’re not supposed to and we’re talking about children and not college students.

I just know that the one time a teacher or student grabs a gun and ends up shooting the suspect will somehow offset any number of accidents, shooting the wrong person (by armed teacher, student, or cop), etc that will happen, in the eyes of the pro-gun crowd.

There’ll definitely be lazy or forgetful teachers, but also responding cops shooting an armed teacher, or an armed teacher shooting innocent kids or cops, etc.

If I were a black teacher I wouldn’t want to ha e anything to do with a gun in a classroom. Too much chance of getting shot by the cops.