All-Purpose Writing Thread!

Over in ElGuapo/Guap’s “I’m Creating An Animation Studio” thread, his animation studio has evolved into a program that, he says, quickly generates animatics. He says he’s gotten it to the point that it can scrape and parse screenplay format, and was looking for sample work. I dusted off a screenplay for a short I wrote about ten years ago and posted it.

Back then, I was fascinated by those amateur lightsaber videos that made the internet a more interesting place. Most of them involved kids running around a forest near their housing development, and their stories went no deeper than “guy fights other guy”. I wanted to write something that would culminate in a lightsaber duel but provide an interesting context as to why guy A and guy B were fighting. I thought noir would be the perfect genre, with a flawed hero that isn’t as smart as he thinks he is, isn’t as suave as he thinks he is, and is acting in ways that will bring heaps of trouble on his head. While it wouldn’t explicitly be Star Wars fan fiction, and would try to avoid outright violations of intellectual property, there would be aliens and ray guns and laser swords and desperate people on the edges of civilized space.

I never got around to making it with my friends like we planned, and never finished writing a part two and three that would wind up bringing the protagonist’s story to feature length. But if you guys could take a look at The Two-Timer (it’s in Word) I’d really appreciate any feedback on plot structure, characterization…anything. I’ve been meaning to get back into writing screenplays.