All-Purpose Writing Thread!

Thanks! I call it Dead Snow meets Band of Brothers because it focuses on the 101st airborne near Bastogne in December, 1944. There’s also an homage to the 99th Intelligence and Reconnaissance division who in real life managed to hold back a force of hundreds of Germans in an amazing delaying action.

I’m totally changing gears for my next book. Post apocalyptic/alien invasion/superheroes. I expect it to sink but I do love this book and I’ve been writing it on and off for over 3 years.

I’ll put out a call on FB to get a few folks to up vote your book. The premise is really interesting.

What software do you guys use to create e-books?

I looked into a license for Flare. I thought it might simplify or make epub production better for me. Just fooling around with Flare 12 last night and it was terrible experiance. Maybe it’s my inexperience with the epub output, but I’ve not had so much trouble with any other output as I did with ePub.

Right now I just use Smashwords and Amazon to create my files. It’s free and I know how to do it pretty quickly, but I’d like to get software that simplifies the production end of it, does a better job, and offers me more control over the final look.

What do most people in this thread use to create ePub/mobi files?

I use Scrivener and then a piece of freeware to fix minor things that Scrivener can’t handle. I can’t recall its name; if you are interested I will find it (its on a different computer than what I’m using now).

Yeah, if you buy in early and keep yourself to the standards Scrivener expects to produce attractive output, it’s pretty great at this for an entry-level thing. Particularly given its relatively low cost and large featureset aside from this functionality.

tylertoo, thanks so much for the input. Someone told me about Scrivener a long time ago for its planning capabilities, but I didn’t realize it did production. I should see if I could use it. Would it make sense for me to just keep using Word and OneNote the way I am now and just use Scrivener for production? For $40, it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than Flare, but I already have Office and I’m pretty comfortable with it. I rarely do research, but I find I occasionally realize I’m going down a bad path with a story and then I have to do surgery. In Word, I just turn on revisions or save copies of the file with a new name until I am happy with the new direction. It may sound sloppy but it seems to work. :)

I recently discovered a program called Vellum. I write in Scrivener, export to Word for my editor/proof readers, then the finished product goes into Vellum. I can format an ebook in less than an hour, and it generates the TOC and exports in all ebook formats. One of the beautiful things about Vellum is that the software puts an ebook reader on the right so you can see exactly how the book will look as you work on it.

Wow, Vellum looks pretty sweet. Only for the Mac? I’m going to have to give it a try. It will be weird doing production on a Mac.

I’m going to see about Scrivener, too.

Scrivener for Mac on sale for $18 (with coupon code SCRIV20)

For Windows for $18 (with coupon code SCRIV10)

Been using Scrivener for a few years and it’s fantastic. Probably won’t take long for you stop missing MS Word. I use it for a variety of projects including creative writing. So useful to have everything related to a given project in one place, and the autobackup, export, metadata and template features are a godsend.

Tim, if you’re not a hardcore gamer, next time you’re in the market for a new machine you might consider getting an Mac and installing Parallels. One of my workstations is set up this way (Parallels 11) and I’m able to seamlessly switch between Mac (El Capitan) and PC (W10) with the press of a key. Everything I need to do in either OS (outside of most gaming) is still available. Pretty happy with it.

Just watched a video demonstrating a new Moleskine product that marries paper to digital somewhat seamlessly. You simply turn on a tablet and an electronic pen and start writing on special paper, and the device automatically digitizes and organizes your writing (or sketches) to the tablet or (I think) your Android/iOS device. Pretty nifty idea. Probably needs to mature and evolve some more before I’ll consider it.

I’ve been using Sigil to set the book I’m working on now. Not an especially friendly tool, but a powerful one, it seems like. Certainly not WYSIWYG, but then, I start with handwriting, and my typing up/editing/web serialization process already half-htmlifies it.

My biggest gripe is that it works directly on epub files, which is super-inconvenient when I’m trying to keep my work in version control (which goes to my webserver, and eventually to my offsite backups). I end up saving all of the component files separately and version-controlling those. Beyond that, though, it’s been everything I could ask for.

An open source ebook maker hosted on Github? That’s cool, I’m going to try that next time I’m ready to publish.

Speaking of github projects, I think I’m going to install selfspy, a keylogger, and track my whole writing process for a novel. I think it’ll be interesting to know just how much time I spend thinking and how much I spend typing, and to see how much the productive days differ from the bad ones. (Maybe some days have 15x the amount of backspaces as others.)

Consider Whatpulse, if it covers your needs. I’ve been running it (and its predecessor, dolphin) for more than a third of my life!

For a moment, I thought you were talking about an e-book composing tool, and was all, “Wait, there’s another one I haven’t heard of?”

Where is the sequel to The Chosen One, the people ask.

barstein!

I got my first MacBook almost two years ago and I’m so pleased with it. I should have had this a long time ago. There are some things about a Mac that are just phenomenal. I don’t have Parallels installed, but I don’t really feel I need it. I have a PC workstation with 10, for Quicken and some other tools.

I haven’t gotten around to trying out Scrivener, but I’ve been meaning to try it out. Right now my writing is so spotty, I’m not interested in investing the time to give a new writing process a try. It’s in the backlog, though. :)

Another friend at work mentioned this to me just the other day. My friend uses it to validate creation of his e-books created in Flare. I thought Sigil was software for doing those checks, but it looks like it’s more of a creation tool. It looks complicated!

You should consider Flare, if you don’t mind paying for a tool. It’s really meant to create websites and PDF from single source topics, but it does EPUB and works great with source control.

The Sigil guys are also behind FlightCrew, the epub validator. They folded FlightCrew into Sigil as a plugin a few releases ago, I understand. Seems to work pretty well. I’d definitely put it more in the power-user column than in the user-friendly column, but it’s going pretty quick for me.

Flare looks lovely, but given the money I’ve made on writing so far ($0; the one I’m working on is my first for-money bit), I don’t think I can justify the license cost. Sigil is an open-source—maybe I’ll fork it and add an ‘export all files’ thing to make the process a little easier.

I checked out Whatpulse, it seems a little too user-friendly. I want to do my own data processing, so the command line approach with selfspy seems better. But thanks for the recommendation.

Well, that’s a tale… I had to switch careers, do some job training, do some job hunting, give my hopes of being a writer the viking funeral they deserved, find the job, start the job, lose the free-time, get stuck on the goal line with this other novel, etc. But manuscripts don’t burn as they say, and the sequel’s gathering material (~40k as of now. It was at 15k last time I mentioned it, in February of last year). The outline, like most outlines, is beautiful and I foresee no way in which the final text is anything but.

I guess I lied the last time I predicted a release date, so I won’t do that again – I really am not a writer anymore, just a web developer with an overdeveloped sense of prose style – but:

Let’s see how Bryn’s doing

[spoiler]On certain nights in winter he could lie in bed and see his breath climbing into the moonlight. He always did, in truth, whenever the moon was strong and the sky cloudless, and would pass the time wishing to someday miss the chance. Mornings were tolerable – the cold purified the light – but these nights were hard. During the worst of them he would light a stump of candle and not even read by it. Better to watch the flame wriggle than his breath, billowing and dissipating into the gray haze above.

He was watching the flame when he heard a thump outside. He did not know what might have caused it, but told himself, after starting half-upright, that of all the seasons winter had the strangest voices. He lay back, wedged his cold hands between his knees, and began bending his memory of the sound onto the frame of an innocuous event. It might have been snow toppling from the roof. Thinking more, becoming more alert as he emerged from the flame watching stupor that was nothing like drowsiness, he decided it could not be snow from the eaves. It had the same soft, collapsing sound, but the report had been a knock, as if that soft body had struck wood.

There came another resonant thump, and a creak. Something had fallen against the huge double doors of the sanctuary’s gatehouse. Bryn winced, knowing he was past ignoring it.

“You already have the candle lit,” he muttered. “Just boots and a cloak.”

Once he had donned both, he frowned, listening – to quiet, the rise and fall of the wind. Boots, a cloak, and a sword. Bryn went rummaging in the chest at the foot of his cot until his hand closed on the handle. Setting the candlestick on the cold stones, he pulled it free and checked the blade. The weak reflection of the candle skirted the rust spots like pits. Tetny would have roundly disapproved. Bryn could see him in the doorway, shaking his head, brains dribbling from the bolthole in his face. Bryn resheathed the sword and dropped it back among the outsider clothes. He would go and wake Dannos.[/spoiler]

Also: I really appreciate your interest, Dave, even after a couple years – it’s really inspiring.

Are those the opening lines, as of this draft?

Yep, that’s chapter 1!