All-Purpose Writing Thread!

Why does Adobe Digital Editions matter? Does anyone actually use it?

Thanks Fishbreath! Is there any way to test how my ePubs will look on those apps, if I donā€™t have an android device? I love the little Kindle previewer thing that Amazon distributes for MOBI files because I can just run it on Windows.

I am using Flare to create the ePubs and for the most part it does a good job, but I get the sense that ePub production is feature they tacked on, but itā€™s doesnā€™t seem to be as high priority as, say, HTML5 output. I have to do a lot of testing and seeing opening up of books on different devices to see how it will render. When will someone create a fabulous tool!

Thatā€™s a good question. Nook might have a desktop application you can try, or an iOS version.

Thatā€™s exactly what I thought! Smashwords recommends looking at your ePub in ADE. I was just going to ignore the suggestion, but the more I look into it, the less it looks like there is a popular Windows ePub reader. So now Iā€™m wondering if some people on Windows arenā€™t using ADE. Yikes!

I have used NOOK and Calibre on Windows.

ADE crashed my computer two or three times, just looking at an ePub files. I think itā€™s because I leave my covers unsized in full high res glory. Every other reader can scale the cover down, so you can see the full image in whatever size monitor/resolution you have. In ADE I have to scroll and scroll to get past the cover. Or sometimes it just totally dies. Itā€™s sad.

Readium is a Chrome plugin that Iā€™ve heard good things about.

What kind of market share is left over after you subtract Kindle, Nook, and Kobo? For that matter, doesnā€™t Kindle have like 85% share just by itself?

Good point. Does Kobo have its own reader? I thought Kobo was a marketplace.

I guess the point is wanting to have a bulletproof ePub thatā€™s not going to be an embarrassment. But, yeah, if it looks good on Apple and the MOBI looks good, then 80 or the market is covered. Nevertheless, people still occasionally write to ask for PDF.

Yeah Kobo sells readers too. They sometimes have actual units on display at independent book dealers. I doubt they have much share, but Iā€™ve at least heard of people using them.

This blog was shared in the P&R forum, but this particular post is very good and lacking in politics.

It is very much a ā€œIf You Want to Writeā€ kind of pep talk. Just thought Iā€™d share it with you. The good part is the last big paragraph down at the bottom of the post.

Quick heads-up/plug: today is official release day for my novella (which means previews are now up at your retailer of choice). Iā€™m doing a choose your own adventure story through the day as part of the release day festivities, if that interests you.

Thanks for the reminder. Something to read for the weekend. Good luck.

(Well, a little bit of your weekend, anyway. :P) Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.

Congrats! Its funny, I woke up and saw an email from Amazon that the book had arrived! Iā€™d forgotten Iā€™d pre-ordered. Looking forward to reading it and more, Jay.

Meanwhile my book, which debuted three weeks ago, is going nowhere. After about $150 in Facebook ads using my trailer, I sold 9 eBooks, 7 print editions, and one person read through KU. Nothing sold since June 3. Most of these sales can probably be attributed to family and friends, although I see someone in Canada did buy a copy.

I know this will sell more once I have other books to sell. Jay, I want to emulate you by writing novellas, to crank out product! So Iā€™m taking a break from running ads. Need to get back to writing.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it too.

Meanwhile my book, which debuted three weeks ago, is going nowhere. After about $150 in Facebook ads using my trailer, I sold 9 eBooks, 7 print editions, and one person read through KU. Nothing sold since June 3. Most of these sales can probably be attributed to family and friends, although I see someone in Canada did buy a copy.

Iā€™ve been meaning to get a copy, but Iā€™ve been a little busy this last week or two. <.< Iā€™ll have some downtime next week, as opposed to this week, which has been all prewriting choose your own adventure stuff, and I have an airplane trip coming in two weeks, so sometime before then Iā€™ll buy, read, and review. Promise!

I know this will sell more once I have other books to sell. Jay, I want to emulate you by writing novellas, to crank out product! So Iā€™m taking a break from running ads. Need to get back to writing.

Amusingly, I have a few ideas for novels in mind, and I may push hard on one of those for my next major writing project. Novellas are cool, but I end up working in that length mostly because I write slowly, and my patience for a given project is based on months more than words. :P

And now, I must awayā€”I have 1,500 or 2,000 words to finish for the next choose-your-own-adventure decision point, and thatā€™s by 2:30. (Again, this may not have been my best plan ever. <.<)

I wrote up my thoughts about my little release day bash and the end results. I moved about 25 in the week+ since release day, 20 through Amazon. Sales followed the traditional peak-to-long-tail graph, except the long tail is zero per day. :P Some good feedback from friends and family, one solid Amazon review. All told, Iā€™m happy with it, although Iā€™ll be doing some things differently next time.

Next on my to-do list is a Createspace editionā€”at first, I thought that a hard copy of a novella was kind of a silly idea, but since itā€™s so short, itā€™s cheap. I can do a $5.50 price point and still make some money on it. (Plus itā€™s good practice with desktop-publishing tool Scribus.)

Following that, itā€™s preparation for the next release, in the January-February timeframe, most likely.

Looks like I sold a story to a pro-scale literary magazine. Should really not name it until I get a contract. Still, very pleased :)

Fishbreath and Tylertoo, you both probably know more about this than I do now, but as I understand it you really have to slog to build up momentum in self-pub, having to publish a whole bunch of books while at the same time doing a lot of independent marketing to get attention. From what Iā€™ve heard eventually it builds up and the sales start accumulating, but early on it can be tough and discouraging.

Which is really why for now Iā€™m sticking with attempts to get an agent and sell to a traditional publisher. Not that itā€™s easier, but in a way itā€™s less work apart from writing. Basically Iā€™m too lazy to self-publishā€¦

First, congrats on the sale. Let us know when it appears.

To me the downside to trad publishing is the waiting. Waiting for agents to reply, or from publishers. Iā€™m old. I donā€™t feel like waiting.

In other words, I donā€™t mind ā€œNo.ā€ I do mind no response.

With self-publishing, I am just going to put it out there myself. No waiting, except for myself. And yes, you need a few books apparently to get any real traction. But even that is no guarantee. The business side of self-publishing is very difficult and time-consuming. No walk in the woods, even with multiple titles.

But at least, very little waiting.

Congratulations for sure, Miramon. Weā€™re looking forward to seeing it.

Iā€™m with tylertoo on upsides/downsidesā€”I like the idea of having my things out there with my pace being the only source of delay. The business side is hard, and standing out from the crowd is doubly so, but Iā€™m willing to make those tradeoffs.

In the longer term, Iā€™d really like to turn Many Words Press from the vainest of vanity imprints into an actual small, low-overhead publisher for independents, doing some marketing and all the technical work of turning a manuscript into a book for a smaller cut than traditional publishers, but I donā€™t have the business plan or the customer base to really work that idea yet.

Ah, just got permission from the editor to announce the sale. My dream-story Dragonfly Tea will be coming out soon in the New Haven Review.