All-Purpose Writing Thread!

Congrats!

huh. Sounds interesting. I love me some WWI biplanes, and some fantasy. A mashup sounds interesting, at least.

Oh, wow! Congratulations. Is that the cover art? I like it. Itā€™s nice to have your name on a spine.

Thanks! Just a promotional postcard. Cover still to come.

Sold a little weird-western flash In a Handful of Dust to a French company, Short Ɖdition, who turned it around for publication inside of a week. In addition to posting the story online, they also make the story available in vending machines around the worldā€¦

Vending machines? Thatā€™s pretty wild. Congrats.

Thatā€™s quite an opening paragraph!

Soā€¦ you go to vending machines to buy short stories? Wouldnā€™t work in the US.

Gods, I would love to write, I have some great stories in me and some practice. But:

1. Iā€™m soooo rusty at writing prose Iā€™m afraid it would be meandering and terrible
  2. No time, no time, no time

The second is probably the reason for the first. Maybe when I retire. . . Iā€™m so jealous of you guys. Keep at it, let me vicariously get my rejection letters!

And a big congrats to those who got published!

Congrats! Awesome how they distribute.

I just submitted a short short to the Daily Science Fiction; fingers crossed. First submission to anywhere in quite some time, but Iā€™m getting back up on the horse.

Thereā€™s dozens of these machines in the US. I admit Iā€™ve never seen one myself, though.

Good luck with DSF! They have very irregular and unpredictable tastes, but my first ā€œpro-scaleā€ sale was there, so I like them for that, at least. Thereā€™s about half a dozen other flash-length specialty markets for SF stories that pay pro-scale and maybe another dozen mixed-length magazines at that pay level that also buy some flash.

Thanksā€¦ I may ask for names if I strike out there.

Off the top of my head, some you might want to also consider for flash stories are Flash Fiction Online, Nature (the glossy science magazine, a surprisingly easy place to sell to, like 10% acceptances, which is huge for a prestigious magazine), Factor Four, The Arcanist, Fireside, and then all the usual mixed-length SFF magazines. Actually Fireside is mixed-length, but they sometimes have flash-only submission calls. And of course Short Edition, too.

Thanks, thatā€™s all very helpful.

The rejection note arrived by email today, and Iā€™m actually quite pleased because, after many years, I finally got off my ass and submitted something, and that the turnaround was less than a month, as theyā€™d promised on their site.

Onward!

Oh well. But DSFā€™s tastes are notoriously irregular. I think Iā€™m something like 2 for 12 there or so. Just keep trying and eventually something will stick with them. In the meantime, thereā€™s all the other marketsā€¦

Indeed, yes, thanks!

Congrats. Are their guidelines correct, having a 8000 character limit for a short? They mean words, right?

edit: iā€™m an idiot - 8000 characters is obvious once I figured in the vending machines. Iā€™m going to have a go.

In an effort to get my ass back to writing fiction, Iā€™ve decide to write a drabble a day for 30 days. My wife gave me a collection of 101 writing prompts, and so Iā€™m selecting one at random. That prompt because the title of the story. Then I sit down and write the drabble, inspired by the title.

Here is my first:

http://michaelbarbatodunn.com/2020/01/20/drabble-1-there-are-so-many-names-for-the-moon/

I may submit them to the site you linked above, so thanks for pointing that out.