All-Purpose Writing Thread!

Good job Crypt! Two sales is a great accomplishment. I’m not sure what the HWA offers, but networking is always good. See where it takes you.

Congrats on the pro sales. That’s such an awesome accomplishment and feeling.

As far as HWA goes you will get out of it what you’re willing to put in. I’m a active (lapsed dues) member of HWA, SFWA, and Thriller Writers, although Thriller has no dues. I wasn’t utilizing HWA or SFWA and stopped paying my yearly dues a few years ago.

If you are an active member, engage with other writers, and go to the convention, you can potentially get a lot out of it. You can also simply friend other writers on Facebook and for the most part they’re cool to engage with. I’ve made a lot of terrific author friends over the years.

The downside is there’s drama in the associations. SFWA was (for me) the worst of them. It’s hard to get anything out of it unless you can cut through the egos. In the PNW there’s a lot of poly stuff that is all drama. My girlfriend at the time (now wife) had a small publishing company and we went to a lot of writer cons and workshops. The stories I could tell about some authors dirty laundry. LOL. Also, you get to meet some of your heroes for good or for worse. Sorry to drift off topic.

TLDR; writer associations can be cool if you’re going to put in the work to get the most out of them.

Thanks for the congrats! You’ve had a lot of success, so I appreciate your well-wishes!

You’re touching on the thing I absolutely hate about writers sort of universally, but which seems to be a particularly big issue from what I’ve seen with the way speculative writers engage with each other. High drama, navel gazing and performative virtue signaling seem to be the norm, and there’s nothing I find more boring than who is fucking who. I just find it all so unprofessional and undignified (even though I’m usually in agreement with the virtues being signaled). But I think, at least in speculative markets, this lack of seriousness might be not just a reflection of the kind of environment that is usually created when thin-skinned artistic loners interact, but also the inherently low financial stakes: it’s hard to expect dignified and professional behavior from a group where even professional success is characterized as earning a part-time, sub-minimum wage.

Congrats. Once you’re eligible I’d recommend joining HWA just to satisfy your own curiousity. I’m sure the cost is reasonable and if you dislike it, drop it after a year.

I have a friend who got an MFA from the Iowa Writer’s Workshop, and he hated the competiveness among students. There was just a lot of sniping and backbiting he said.

I only know about the poetry scene, and that’s from 30 years ago. There is no smaller market and there is almost no chance to make a living from publishing alone, yet the competiveness and sniping is still there. It’s like a pack of jackals fighting over a baby rabbit.

Poetry writers use publication credit as a springboard to teaching positions. That’s as good as it gets. And good literary mags will have an acceptance rate of 1% or lower. It’s not really a game to play.

And… I made my third pro sale of the year, this time a 1,200 word piece to The Dread Machine. Intriguingly, I only ever seem to sell fiction at during moments of external crisis that guarantee that I will not experience a single drop of joy from the accomplishment.

I hope you can experience some joy from that! You deserve it! Congrats!

Congrats, DrCrypt! You keep going like this and you’re bound to have a crisis-free sale soon. You’re burning it up. I’m sorry for the current external crisis and wish you well through it. Consider it more gristle for the writing mill, if it makes you feel better.

Congrats! You’re kicking ass. I’ve been writing for 14 years and I’ve only managed 3 pro sales. 3 in half a year is amazing.

Aw, thanks. I’ve long admired your success, so that means a lot to me. Like all writers, I just want people to read (and hopefully enjoy) the stories I tell.

I have to admit, now that I’ve finally attained a long held goal, I’m nervous. In my personal life, I’m hard pressed getting anyone besides my wife to read my stories. I’ve always hoped that I would find a larger audience when I actually got published, but I have a grim suspicion that once my stories are out there, I will largely never hear if anyone ever read them or enjoyed them.

How have you found being published, Crusis? Do you feel like you’re reaching an audience?

Thanks for the kind words. This is kind of a complicated subject and I could write a small quite a bit about this stuff. I actually have been working on a book (off and on) about the business of writing called Blood, Sweat, and Writer Tears. Maybe I’ll finish it some day.

At the end of the day I know people read me. My books have had thousands of reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. I try not to read them, but sometimes the one star reviews are hilarious. They used to kill me but I grew a thick skin over the years. I write for me first and foremost. If other’s like my stuff, that’s a bonus. If they dont? Frankly, I don’t give a shit.

That probably didn’t answer your questions. I’m pretty jaded at this point in my writing career.

Grats, DrCrypt! Nice work. Sorry not to check in to this thread recently.

A couple of recent publications of my own, btw:

Houseproud at Escape Pod. A reprint, but now published to podcast with fun narration.

The Piper at the Gates of Night in issue #1 of Space Fantasy Magazine. Rat and Mole from the Wind in the Willows, except they’re sentient starships.

Incidentally I don’t agree that it’s hard to get value out of SFWA. There certainly is some drama from time to time, but that has no effect on members except to the extent they choose deliberately to participate in it.

But membership also provides connection to many great writers on discord and in the forums, attendance and voting at the Nebulas, protection from the Grievances committee, access to various subcommunities of similar writers, a certain amount of networking and publicity through publication posts, the Nebula Recommended Reading list and generally getting your name out there, and some other forms of professional support and guidance.

I also strongly recommend Codex to anyone who has either attended one of the leading SFF workshops or who has sold $100 worth of so-called “pro-scale” ($0.08/word) material to a genre magazine or been nominated for one the noteworthy awards.

Congrats

H​ow dark it is to be alone

I​n memory, especially

R​emembering times I was alone

C​andles flicker

L​ights fade

V​isions tesselate

H​ow did I survive these times

S​omething greater?

T​here must have been

I wrote a thing!

Indiana Jones and the Son of the Sun is a classic pulp adventure with Marion also starring. I’ve always loved their dynamic, and put it in the Bolivian jungle with angry natives and excavations and even snakes.

I quite enjoy their first scene, and the way Marion’s need for recognition grows. I also quite like the airplane crash. I remember writing it sitting in an Oakland park, seized by the scene and unable to do anything but get it all down.

I’d be honored if you spent an hour with it.

Anyone know of any good OneNote templates for a daily journal/diary? Having trouble locating one using month/week/day views that isn’t a planner. So far I’ve googled, found a few free sources and checked out what they had, and browsed Etsy – mostly planners, and the few diary templates I found there were not to my taste.

I got my first byline! I was horsing around on Twitter and, long story short, was solicited by a hyperlocal newspaper-like website to write up my account of an ad hoc parade that occurred near my house.

My journalism training is pretty limited, but I did my best to cover the who, what, when and wheres, to avoid obvious bias, and to try to tell an interesting story. And to not freak out when the editor takes a pass at the copy. And hopefully to not make too many glaring factual errors.

The website published the story, and there’s a good chance I’m going to get paid. And not just in exposure!

This is it.

Wow, congrats!!

Congrats, @Djscman.

Since it’s a new year, does anyone have any big writing goals for 2023? I had a slow year last year, but I have no less than three books lined up for this year. I’m doing two sequels to series that have sold well and a stand alone thriller that’s very much a Blake Crouch style book. Crossing my fingers it doesn’t suck.

So what are you all working on?