All Tyjenks wanted to know about DDR but was afraid to ask

Chick said:

It’s not nerdier. It’s gayer.

This coming from a guy who writes for gay magazines. :P

You may not think much of CGW, but this is going too far.

You may not think much of CGW, but this is going too far.[/quote]

I don’t think GregB was saying CGW was gay, but referring to a Shoot Club that Tom wrote. It was about a date he went on and the women thought he said he wrote for a gay magazine.

Of course I could be misreading what you said also. :wink:

I don’t think GregB was saying CGW was gay, but referring to a Shoot Club that Tom wrote. It was about a date he went on and the women thought he said he wrote for a gay magazine.

Bingo. I think that was my very favorite Shoot Club. I’ve told that story to some of my non-gaming friends and they thought it was a hoot!

It was my wife’s birthday, and she wanted DDRMAX for the PS2- she played it at a friend’s house and thought it was soooo much easier to play/understand than our DC import. For Xmas, she’s getting the Cobaltflux pad that Wumpy mentioned in the other thread.

Since I made a whole topic for this… Don Quixote, how did that http://www.cobaltflux.com pad work out for the old ball and chain?

Damn. I absolutely forgot to give a report. She loves it. Though we’ve not actually used one, I’m not convinced that it is that much better than the ‘metal’ hard pads that I’ve seen advertised around, but it is pretty damn great.

She can regularly pull off 7-8 foot songs now with ‘A’ ratings. Down side is that it is heavy (45 lbs.) so it’s a pain to lug around, and thus spends a lot of time in the middle of the living room floor. Another problem that we encountered when we first got it was that the ‘select’ and ‘start’ buttons had been moved to the back of the pad (instead of the front right and left corners), and she was inadvertantly stepping on them during workout mode, and thereby cancelling the workout in the middle. :cry:

I can attest to that fact that it doesn’t slide at all, even during fast songs, and I’m a pretty big guy (6’2", 210 lbs.), and we have never seen a lick of ‘ghosting’ on the buttons. I like the fact that it has a ‘smooth’ suface (without brackets, rivets, plates, screws, etc), and I’ve seen on the cobaltflux forums that they seem to take care of any problems quickly, efficiantly, and nicely. I’ll add that the design facilitates this, with all the electronics being contained in a box outside the unit (in the controller’s cord), which facilitates easy replacement of really any problem. This design does come with one downside, and that is that it uses a standard 9-pin din connecter to conect to the pad, and while the male end (the cord) has screws, the female (pad) end does not, which causes it to fall out occasionally (this has happened to us twice in the month and a half we’ve had it, with nearly daily use). The game doesn’t recognise this and pause (as all the electronics are in the cord), so you’re just left wondering why you’re missing all the beats. :?

All in all, it seems like it was worth it- it takes whatever abuse we throw at it, and the complaints are really just picking nits.

…or tilting at windmills…

nah. That would imply that they weren’r really nits, and that I was just imagining them. Or haven’t you read the book? As it stands, the pad does have a few flaws (another of which may be the $300 price tag), but they are very, very minor.

Well, I know the accepted interpretation over the years has become ‘Attacking enemies that don’t exist’ but, and this may just be my interpretation, I take it to mean ‘Seeing danger where others don’t’ since the problem may be inconsequential, or even non-existant to some, but all but insurmountable to others.
I’m defining the statement from Quixote’s point of view of course, he obviously saw it as such, the problem didn’t exist to YOU, but it most certainly did to HIM. You may be picking apart tiny problems, but these may be HUGE to others. Though I’m always interested in other’s opinions on such a great book. :D

Well, I know the accepted interpretation over the years has become ‘Attacking enemies that don’t exist’ but

That’s right, because it is the correct and only interpretation of the phrase “tilting at windmills”. Moving on.

All in all, it seems like it was worth it- it takes whatever abuse we throw at it, and the complaints are really just picking nits.

Yeah, my problem is that I can’t justify two of those things. One, maybe, but where’s the fun in the loneliest number? Two CF pads is $600. Even by my exorbitant gold-plated dreamcast fishing controller standards, that’s a lot for a very game specific gaming accessory. Do you not play DDR with your wife? She does it as strictly a solo activity?

We take turns- she trashed the El Cheapo soft pad that we got in the couple of weeks waiting for the CF pad to be shipped. The whole competition thing doesn’t really do it for us anyway, at least not for this game. Samba de Amigo, on the other hand, we would play for hours against each other. She tends to kick my ass. :D

That said, I remember seeing a deal back before christmas on two of the metal pads sold together as a combo- together they cost as much as the one cobaltflux pad. I was kind of bummed when I saw that (I had already ordered the CF pad). Like I said though- I haven’t actually used one of those, and am quite satisfied with what we got. There’s that whole ‘grass is greener’ thing though. :?

There are tons of problems with the “inexpensive” ~$120 chinese/taiwanese metal pads, too. From what I read, it is possible to get them to work reliably over the long term with modifications… but if you want the best out of the box pad which will never break and always step 100% accurately, then the only real alternative is the $300 CobaltFlux.

You definitely made the right choice, IMO.

-wumpus

You may not think much of CGW, but this is going too far.[/quote]

Of course I could be misreading what you said also. :wink:[/quote]

Whoops. I meant it as a joke, just a throw away line. I have to remember to add the smiles: :D :) :o :lol: :oops: :P :twisted: :wink:

Still not convinced.

Ya hachu tansyevat. Ya horosho lyublyu.

just ordered 2 pads and the wumpus approved® usb adapter - i’m a sucker for PC peripherals, and my fiancee always wants to play at the arcade. :D

Let us know how playing on the PC goes. If you need mp3s/step files, I have those, so PM me.

I still recommend using a PS or PS2 to start, because the setup is so much easier…

i’m sure the PS2 setup would be easier, but I don’t have a PS2 or the cash to get a PS2 plus DDR MAX (what would that run… $150 to $200?) right now.

Since i CAN afford the dance pads and the USB adapter was only $15, I figured I’d give it a whirl. I’ll definitely try and run it through my 32" TV instead of my 17" monitor.

assuming it works okay, and the fiancee digs it, i’ll probably wind up with a ps2 and a copy of DDR Max sometime soon.

Thanks for the help, especially the links to the pad and adapter :D

tantsevat’ ?

You Russian or something? Man, I looked all over for a picture of someone boot dancing - that’s all I could find to make that image. You’d think for such a famous dance they’d have some pics of people doing the damn thing.