All You Need is Tom Cruise in The Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Couple of early looks:

— Alan

What the…? So lots of goofy robot CG under the heads of a couple of capable actors?

Oh, wait, it’s a Doug Liman movie. In!

-Tom

I doubt the helmets will stay on for more than 10 minutes. It’s a manga conversion as well. But yeah, I was totally out but… Doug Liman. Sigh. Sure why not.

— Alan

Why does his rig look just like the one Matt Damon wears in Elysium?

Except it doesn’t. They are both clearly going for a realistic approach. Cruise’s suit looks about 5x bulkier.

Wait what happened to the old title? Aw, man.

It is a funny situation, to buy the rights to a book and decide to not use it’s title. I suppose the book isn’t a best seller or anything, so the name recognition wouldn’t be much of a selling point, but at least the original had attitude… this just sounds generic.

Get used to them. We’re working on this flick and another in-house right now that sports these exo suit type things. I’m not sure if it’s a hollywood trend, or if the military is on the cusp of making something that they can actually field that is building excitement… I remember a pop-sci article about one that worked just like the exo-suit in Aliens, except for that the power supply was too big and had to be trucked around on rails above it.

edit: this

It’s not really a smart or well-thought-out idea. What’s the point of having all the actuators and hydraulics exposed? Leaving all of the important parts unarmored makes all of your special assets completely vulnerable to the enemy. That’s why exposed combat exoskeletons will never work–they need to be protected.

— Alan

I’m just excited to see the novel get put on the big screen. I only hope it translates well.

What’s all this talk about practicality? That’s not how Hollywood works.

THAT’S how Hollywood works.

Probably not your best example/comparison.

— Alan

Is that supposed to be some kind of mail protecting her upper chest? Yeah, I’d feel safer with my sternum less protected than my abs.

What’s the book / original title?

All You Need is Kill. Which does invoke the Beetles in a roundabout way, or sound like a strange translation (the book is Japanese), but hey. Attitude.

I wiki’ed a bit, and oh god, japanese like their
book spoilers

time loop stories

No wonder they changed the title. With a plot so similar to Groundhog Day, everyone would be referring to it as ‘All You Need is Phil’.

Seems kinda like Source Code without all the time spent outside the event. Looks pretty good. Tom Cruise is one of the better Sci Fi/Action actors. Minority Report wasn’t a masterpiece or anything but I thought Cruise did a good job with his role.

I’ve long since given up on practicality in my movies. As longs as it has some verisimilitude I’ll be alright.

Yeah but considering it’s Thorworld it’s probably like special, magic-proof, enchanted mail. Let’s be honest the real victims are these guys, no armour at all, NOT EVEN SHOES.

Anything to get that foot fetishist demographic.

EDIT: On topic I should say it seems from the pics so far that Emily Blunt seems to have the same amount of armour in the same places as Tom Cruise, which is nice.

I, um, yeah.

— Alan