Almost 13,000 Girls Called "Nevaeh"

The New York Times reports on a recent bout of insanity:

In 1999, there were only eight newborn American girls named Nevaeh. Last year, it was the 70th-most-popular name for baby girls, ahead of Sara, Vanessa and Amanda. […]

Nevaeh is Heaven spelled backward.

The name has hit a cultural nerve with its religious overtones, creative twist and fashionable final “ah” sound. It has risen most quickly among blacks but is also popular with evangelical Christians, who have helped propel other religious names like Grace (ranked 14th) up the charts, experts say. By contrast, the name Heaven is ranked 245th. […]

The surge of Nevaeh can be traced to a single event: the appearance of a Christian rock star, Sonny Sandoval of P.O.D., on MTV in 2000 with his baby daughter, Nevaeh. “Heaven spelled backwards,” he said.

Quick, lets name our kids after rock star babies!!1!!eleven!

Interesting find.

I thought at first it was meant to sound like “Never”.
(Before I RTFA, that is.)

I thought spelling things backwards was the work of Satan, or something?

And when I suggested to my wife that our first born son should be called Lucifer because he would be the bringer of light to our family, she rejected the idea (and it would be against the fucking law here).

When I read the subject, I also thought: Why call your kid NEVAH!

In these parts during the height of “Friends” I knew four people who named their newborn daughters Rachel. Idiots.

My fiance says she’ll divorce me if I insist on naming our first born son Tiberius Hadrian [Insert teutonic surname here].

I think she’s nuts. Good strong names those…

And we all saw how good Tiberiun Sun turned out…

So is “heaven” spelled backwards code for hell? Sort of like the upside-down crucifix, right?

I;ve been pushing for Tiberius Germanicus for some time. I don’t think it will happen.

I have gotten Henry Aaron into the maybe column.

Troy

Since we are the modern Rome (America), what with the conquering and hedonism and all, I’m all for starting a social trend of Roman names. Maximus (my last name) is one I’m trying to push, but the wife says no.

I’m also thinking of starting to wear a toga to work.

I know a few kids named Dylan. They turned out great.

Interesting story. I expected a character from Left Behind or something similar to be the reason for the popularity. Instead it’s MTV. Totally different demographic.

Just so long as it’s not James Tiberius ;-)

What-Evah!

I guess it’s better than Susejekili.

It’s “Heaven” spelt backwards? Oh Sonny Sandoval, you retard, how will we ever crack that code? If you wanted to call your daughter Heaven, just call her Heaven, for fuck’s sake

I’m going with Bond/Austin powers names for any daughters I have. With a surname like Seymour, the comedy potential for things like rollcalls is too great to pass up.

And no, I’ve never been nicknamed “Butts”, honest.