Alone in the Dark (2022? Nope! How about 2024?)

That was a fun watch, thank you. It was sort of a behind the scenes featurette.

I played the Prologue. It’s short (10 mins) but it definitely has me thinking about getting the full game. Great atmosphere.

The thread title gets even more inaccurate! Delayed to January 2024.

2024 is going to be a great year for delayed video games!

Oh I missed the delay news. Well, have some monsters

I had forgotten about this game already. Another video

Delayed again to March 20, 2024. Apparently they have a free prologue available. I should play that in March before the game comes out.

Not the best reviews.

Here’s Eurogamer.

RagnarRox on YouTube is a fan of the original 1992 game, and does a really thorough review, including a bit of a retrospective of how far the series has fallen over the decades (which is pretty far, starting from the very first sequel).

I’ve now watched 5 video reviews of the new game, most of which were positive, and still can’t make up my mind. Watching video of people playing the game, it absolutely looks aimed at someone like myself, who loves gothic settings, but something about it just seems a bit off. If the release price had been closer to $40, this would have been a slam dunk for me, even without seeing any reviews.

I loved the original 1992 game. It is the first computer game I had ever played, and it had so much charm stamped all over it, and the wacky controls constantly made me giggle. And yet, it was a spooky game. Somehow, that little game managed to pull off what should have been an impossible feat.

That said, I knew from first hearing about it that this new game was going to be something completely different. And it doesn’t look as different as I had expected, so that’s good. And yet I am hesitant. Maybe it’s just the price that’s scaring me off.

I mean it’s got Mikael Hedberg, lead writer of Soma, as its writer and game director, so yet one more reason I should already own this.

Welp, now I guess I have to play it. Sigh.

My prediction is that this will be your GOTY

Some liked it

It seems it isn’t very heavy on the action nor it goes hard on the horror aspect, it’s more creepy/atmospheric

Hopefully someone who’s played further than I have will post, but my first impressions were not good. I got through the first chapter before uninstalling, but it looks to me like it’s chasing Resident Evil as a formula, and I’m not really interested given how poorly it seems to be doing the formula.

For starters, the only thing it seems to have in common with the original is that the dude is named Carnby and the house is named Decerto. Otherwise, it doesn’t feel like a haunted house survival/horror game. Instead, based on just the first hour or so, it feels like an adventure game with bouts of shooting/hacking (?) that jumps around to different locations thanks to interdimensional travel. The first area is the French Quarter in New Orleans, but it’s just a few streets socked in by a fog so evil that it prompts the character to announce out loud “I can’t go this way” when you try to walk into it. Evil impassable fog!

Meanwhile, I suppose you’re supposed to scrounge bullets? Which I wouldn’t have minded if the gunplay didn’t feel so meek, but that’s how it works with a Resident Evil: you gotta start by plinking away at the zombies with the crappy guns before you get to the fun stuff. On Standard difficulty, Alone in the Dark felt like about four bullets per zombie. A very familiar equation. Speaking of, why am I playing this and not one of the recent Resident Evils?

Oh, right, because it’s got David Harbor and Jodie Comer doing the voices for the lead characters. There does seem to be a cast of characters living in Decerto (it’s not even abandoned???), so occasional cutscenes will let David Harbor and Jodie Comer act, I’m guessing. At the beginning of Alone in the Dark, you have to choose which one to play. Jodie Comer or David Harbor? Are you a Killing Eve kinda gamer or a Stranger Things kinda gamer? You pick one and the other one seems to take a powder break until the next cutscene. The game promises that to really unlock all the cool stuff, you need to replay it at least once with the other character. But I was hoping we would alternate over the course of the game. Instead, I’m supposed to play this thing twice?

I’m not sure I have it in me even once.

Did anyone get any further than chapter 1? Did anyone besides me even get start chapter 1?

1 Like

Normally not into survival horror at all (though i did play The Last of Us on PC and enjoyed it) but I do have a pleasant memory of playing a few minutes of the original Alone in the Dark for MS-DOS and being chased by a purple shambling- thing within the first few minutes that I knew wanted to eat me. But at that time I was playing things like Doom and Duke 3D and needed something that went down smoother, and not the slow, clunky mechanics and interfaces of these kinds of games. But Alone in the Dark 2024? With Jodie Comer? JODIE COMER?! SOLD! Time to revisit the genre.

Cute story about Jodie Comer. While preparing for her role as a game designer in Free Guy she played a lot of modern video games. She liked Spider Man, tried Grand Theft Auto 5, but her very very favorite was Animal Crossing. “It’s probably for 12 year olds but I like it.” she cheerfully spoketh in interview. She’s such a- such a- such a GIRL! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, thank god you’ve showed up, @rez. Remember that if you get farther than Chapter 2, you will be the leading authority on Qt3 on this remake, a position I seem to currently hold and am eager to relinquish. You can do it!

Oh no, Jodie Comer is a filthy casual???

“You can do it!”

Yes, Tom, I think I can, I think I can, I know I can, I know I can! (chooo chooo) The power of Jodie Comer compels me! :grin:

1 Like

That was a big turn-off for me, and one reason I didn’t jump on this train. I’ve only watched a few gameplay videos, but they seemed to have abandoned the creepy and desolate yet charming atmosphere the original had stamped all over it. This game didn’t need a cast of characters, and certainly didn’t need cinematic breaks.

That said, I am looking forward to @Rez’s impressions.

Yahtzee has thoughts. Not especially positive thoughts, mind you.