Alpha centauri

Yeah, gotta agree that the scenarios are probably the least irksome way to play Civ3. It’s way too easy to be hosed by resource placement otherwise.

I’m in for a game.

Once you play Alien Crossfire, you’ll never go back. But it’s probably easier to learn the original game, just because there’s less of everything in it.

Yeah, I am finding this game a bit intimidating to be honest. I mean I am doing quite well on the easy levels, but the AI seems pretty mindless at such levels. My main problem is that I don’t understand the techs and tech tree, mostly because I don’t know what these words mean. My people will discover something and I have no idea what it is. Part of the problem may be that I don’t have the manual :). But there is a lot of ingame help (datalinks).

Speaking of the tech tree, I fondly remember devoting half a wall to the beast of a poster that came with the game. And then they made it even bigger in the expansion. :)

was digging through my “Old Games drawer” last night and found those posters… thought about putting them up just to make my wife crazy :P

While there’s an AC thread up and running I have a question.

I just reinstalled and patched AC, but every time I start the game I get a “CPU is not supported, there may be crashes, blah blah” popup. Pressing ok and cancel both have the same result. The game crashes to desktop without starting.

What gives?

Well… They did say there may be crashes.

I’m running AC with no expansion (never bought it), on a P4-2.4 with 512MB Radeon 8500 on WinXP Home. It works on this set-up. After the dialog is dismissed, it does a CD check and lets me know some features may be unavailable without the CD. I continue and then it goes to the Firaxis animation followed by the opening story video. Perhaps its cacking on the video playback?

I never put up the full tech tree on my wall, but I do have a cheat-sheet for how to get to Secrets of the Human Brain and Tree Farm most directly.

I had the same problem, but fortunately a lot of other people did too. Here’s the fix:

Open up Alpha Centauri.Ini. Scroll down to “ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0.” Change it to “ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1”. You will still get the CPU not supported message, but when you click on “OK”, the game will load normally.

I wish Loki Games was still around to support their Linux port.

I just reinstalled it and it just wont work. I double click the exe file and nothing happens.

If you are looking for advice, you need to give us some system specs.

I installed it in Windows XP and had no problems at all running it. I did use the patch before attempting to play. I did not install Alien Crossfire (yet). I am still learning the game and splitting time with my newest game (Painkiller).

Did you edit the Alpha Centauri.ini file as per my earlier post?

Thread arise!

The AC expansion, Alien Crossfire, is available for free on GOG.com courtesy of EA for all past and future customers. Awesome.

Thats a fine christmas gift :)

Cool. I just found the original disc, too.

Oh very nice ! :D

For anyone getting back into SMAC. Vel’s SMACX guide, is one of the best strategy guides or game companion tomes ever written. And you can now download it for free on that link.

1. Download it on your iPad
  2. Take it to your family Christmas gathering
  3. In the quiet, post-meal digestive part of the day, start reading it.
  4. I guarantee you will get so psyched to play you’ll be counting the hours until you can get back to your PC.

Tony

Cool. I always preferred it with the expansion.