Alpha Protocol

Everytime I get near a boss my dude just rubs against them until they kill him. I’d actually gotten to where I assumed bosses were immune to melee attacks.

And the game didn’t need bosses. Its a spy/mystery thriller. Not Gears of War. If you get to the “boss” the reality should be that despite all their power, skill and influence, they’re ultimately just people.

Instead they get magical armor that regenerates and more health than 15 normal men. While wearing a business suit or jeans and a T-shirt. I mean at least my dude is wearing body armor.

He is? Mine’s not.

I’m playing through this again as well. It must be something in the air. I’m mostly using stealth, so I’m not using armor until I can afford the top-of-the-line stealth suit.

As far as boss fights go, I think the only way to do them without buffing the boss up to ridiculous levels would be to have the boss behind very tough defenses. Basically, the boss would be after the big fight. It would make sense, really. But that goes against the dramatic convention that has been used since before movies existed, let alone computer games.

Bosses are certainly not immune to melee at all. I’m not sure what caused your experience, but I did not share it. Melee did extreme damage for me and once you upgrade it a bit, it did a little stun on enemies so you could do some combo that kept them stun locked almost. While melee is behind pistols which are ungodly broken and overpowered, it is probably equal to or slightly better than smgs.

Oh it is a spy/mystery thriller? So where does it say in the rule book for making spy/mystery thrillers that there can’t be bosses or that they MUST ultimately have to be just normal people?

Oh and if you’re using body armor and trying to go unarmed, that might be part of the problem… Unarmed (in my opinion) works best with very light (read: stealth) armor.

You can fix the whole thing by playing on Easy. If you can set aside Mike surviving all the shots that hit him, it does make the enemies more prone to death. Then the focus will be the spy/mystery of the thriller and not the action.

Stealth doesn’t mean anything in most boss fights. They get a cutscene and then start shooting you, so its not like you can sneak up on em and start beating them up, barring a few exceptions.

Against normal enemies, its fine, but on bosses they just back pedal or zip around and shoot me repeatedly while I don’t do anything.

The pistol works fairly well, but they love to regen their magic armor, which means basically sitting on my chain shot cooldown and hiding half the time.

Edit: Now I’m on a fight where I have to protect some moron and he just dies. I can’t save him. I don’t shoot nearly fast enough and the shit controls don’t even let me fire my gun half the time anyway for some reason. I have a aim on a dude, my guy refuses to fire. Ever. I just sit there doing nothing. Which is a common as hell problem in this game anyway. Sometimes the controls just stop working and you lose.

My criticism was of your “The only options are” as though somehow boss fights were some kind of pre-requisite to gaming, or rather, this very particular way that they should play out. I agree there should be focal points, big moments, but boss fights? Really?

I’m not quite sure who the rest of your post is arguing with.

I think Batman AA has the best boss fight implementations. They are not necessarily just bad ass boss who could take more bullet but requires new tactics to take them out. Brilliant.

As for Alpha Protocol - best $5 I have spent. I didn’t expect myself to finish the game but I did and if I had the time, I wouldn’t mind playing again. But alas for huge backlogs.

I think Murbella is just looking for someone to talk Mass Effect with, and wandered into the wrong thread.

Murbella, what do you think of the boss fights in Mass Effect?

I’m looking to pick this up… is the PS3 or 360 version superior?

The PC version, to be played with a gamepad.

No doubt, but my gaming PC bit the dust and I can’t afford another right now…

I think the 360 version is considered to have a slightly smoother framerate.

Yup. 360 version > PS3 version.

-Also named Clay

Well I beat it finally. The end was annoying as shit since it was apparently “lets throw boss fights at you non-stop, oh and stealth doesn’t work they all know you’re there.” Which for a stealth guy sucked a lot.

Plus I tried to save a person and apparently screwed it up because I hadn’t memorized the layout of the last area that I’d never been in so I went the wrong way.

Overall not bad, but it really would’ve been better without the silly boss fight extravaganza at the end. Still the character interaction stuff was pretty great and should be in every fricken game.

Now hit youtube and check out some of alternate endings. If you missed the Heck ending, you missed out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJtqFRxpq1s

Or Sie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnP2eouYGOc&playnext=1&list=PL179985697667F564

Obligatory: Michael Thorton, Psychopath

To whomever designed the Russian “boss fight”: fuck you

So far in the tutorial area, I’ve re-discovered that hacking is bullshit becuase the mouse doesn’t work hardly at all to move the code around; I’ve gotten stuck not being able to use an EMP to unlock the door in the gadget area; and I’ve managed to get into the Inte/Inventory screen with NO WAY to exit out of them. Jesus Obsidian, WTF?

It’s everyone’s favorite part.

yeah, I’ve heard several from several sources that the pc port is rather bad - sorry to hear its THAT bad.

If it helps, the Xbox version had no issues for me (Other than the game itself at times, that is)