Alpha Protocol

She’ll actually provide sniper cover during the fight defending Parker if you have a high relationship with her, and then take mina’s spot on the boat.

I’ll be damned.

It’s this sort of thing that makes Alpha Protocol stand apart from any other game. It really deserves a lot of recognition.

He means the optional room earlier in the ending sequence. It’s one of the dumbest goofs with the game because they present you with two nondescript doors and you might miss it. People complained about it throughout the thread. You might be able to individually select an objective on the map to highlight the right point, if you remember to do it in time. I always seem to forget and by then the game seals you off from it forever.

Yeah. It’s possible to finish the game never discovering she’s the assassin either, you can meet her in that room and she’ll just play it cool like she was rounded up when they went looking for you.

If you’re relationship is high, or if you have all the intel, she’ll come clean about being the assassin and help you out.

Other paths:

Michael Thorton, Psychopath, kills both Mina and Scarlett: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s

Joining Halbech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8wwjzuFlgI&feature=player_detailpage#t=258s

Madison knocking Mike unconscious is pretty funny too, in the psychopath video.

Wow. I wish the bosses weren’t there so I could go back and replay it and try … well, everything, really. Those are some amazing choices.

Just play on Easy. You get the whole story without too much worry about combat situations.

I just might. Put it back on my Steam wishlist (the original is PS3 which I traded back); now for a sale. :)

$2 on Steam today. Worth it?

If you’re so poor that $2 is a noticeable hit to your spare cash, then no, probably not.

Don’t be a dildo. It’s not that $2 will break me, it’s that I’d be willing to pay more to not be frustrated by shitware. It could be free, but if annoying I’d still avoid it. Cheap doesn’t automatically = a sale for me.

Personally, I found the tech and design issues didn’t bother me much at all. Maybe because I was expecting them. They are there, but they really don’t ruin the gameplay. However, I did find the writing and story to be really boring. I would love a great spy game, but IMO this isn’t it. I was hoping for a lot more disguises and social engineering James Bond type stuff, and this was more sneaking around with a silenced pistol. I guess it was more Bourne than Bond, and that was my issue.

Depends on your tolerance for shitty Mouse and keyboard controls or willingness to use a gamepad. I never made it through the first real mission due to the crap controls and shitty minigames. But most folks here seem to feel that there is a good story in there somewhere.

Now come on, I give you the perfect opportunity to break out the Deal With It macro and you just fob me off.

It’s not that $2 will break me, it’s that I’d be willing to pay more to not be frustrated by shitware.

If it’s shit, then you will not be frustrated to the same extent that if you had paid more. If it’s not shit, you will be satisfied to a greater degree than if you had paid more.

I paid $60 for it on the 360 and thought it was worth it. Alpha Protocol does a lot of things badly, but it also does a lot of things incredibly well. If you can deal with that, you should absolutely pick it up.

I try to avoid tired memes. That’s why most of my stuff isn’t funny.

You’re like me then. My time is worth more than whatever uber cheap price a Steam sale offers. It’s not the money, it’s the time investment that matters.

In this case, I’d say skip it. The main character is either the blandest secret agent ever, or a raging idiot depending on how you choose his dialogue. Control issues abound. It’s very easy to accidentally screw yourself on the skills. Boss fights range from “That’s it?” to “When will this ever end?”

Overall, my frustration with what should’ve been a great game was never overcome by the story.

You just favorably compared yourself to kerzain.

Yea, I didn’t want to rub that in.

When deciding whether it’s worth playing, factor in time to play the game twice. The most interesting part is making different choices the second time. There are no earth-shattering branches like The Witcher 2, but it’s fun to watch the minor differences play out. You won’t get that to the same extent in any other RPG. Decide whether that sounds exciting to you.

I also really enjoyed playing the three roles, Bond/Bourne/Bauer. It’s not pure role-playing per se because the choices are so limited. It’s more like picking an archetype, selecting that dialogue option, and watching it play out. It was such a hoot dressing Mike up in frat boy gear and taking the suave/Bond dialogue options, then for the next game dressing him up as a kooky commando and taking the aggressive/Bauer options.

I really enjoyed the same thing in ME2. And that was even with the default hold-stick-right options – Shepard seemed very no-nonsense, and I enjoyed watching that play out in front of me even if there wasn’t a lot of “role-playing choice” involved. In any case, that feeling lasted much longer in AP than it did in ME2.

I don’t really pay attention to shit like boss fights and minigame controls. As long as I don’t personally encounter any grind I can overlook most mechanical flaws if other things are compelling.