Alpha Protocol

How do you feel about RPG/FPS hybrids? I love the game and must have over 60 hours played logged. I think $2 is the fucking deal of a lifetime.

But, I just realized yesterday that I’ve never finished a straight FPS. Got bored and didn’t finish both Half-Lifes, NOLF, Far Cry and probably a few others I’m forgetting. I finished and loved, however, Deus Ex, BioShock, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and both MEs. So, where are you an the RPG-FPS spectrum?

I liked it aside from the final bit. I’d use a 360 gamepad though.

@EdSolomon I’m down with them. Except for Far Cry I’m not big on straight up FPS games either. I’m all over the FPS/RPGs games (Except I couldn’t get into the setting for Bioshock).

I ended up picking up the game since I tend to be a bit forgiving on some of the problems listed throughout the thread. The biggie deal-breakers for me are typically performance or UI related… or luck-based issues like Blue Shells.

Awesome. I think the game really shines if you go pistol and stealth, so I’d recommend that for your first play through.

Ok, I tend to get bored in about 15 minutes with FPS games. I also don’t have a gamepad. What are my chances of liking this game? Best guesses?

Well, do you play games to not get bored and not hate the controls or is there something you actually want out of them? Do you like lots of small choices and consequences? Archetype roleplay? What do you think about RPG based gunplay plus super moves?

If I already have DX3, what parts of AP will not be a complete waste of time?

Because even at $2, I’m like kerzain/telefrog in that I just don’t have the time to play this over a backlog that includes Minerva’s Den and Mass Effect 2.

I didn’t play with a gamepad and it was fine. I may have had to make some minor config file tweaks - I don’t remember.

I have never roleplayed in the sense that I pretend I’m a dwarf and I love gold and hate elves, that kind of thing. I do enjoy games that have character progression where my character becomes more powerful.

I play games to enjoy them, not to stave off boredom, if that is what you are getting at. Bad controls are bad controls and can get in the way of enjoying a game. I prefer games to have good controls. Is this a trick question? Doesn’t everyone prefer good controls?

Super moves like combos in beat 'em ups? Or super moves like in a special ability I might use in WoW, such as a rogue using ambush? The latter I enjoy. The former, not really.

Choice and consequences. Personality trifecta dialogue wheel conversations. Take the dialogue battles in DX3 and disperse them over an entire game (so there’s more of it with less impact and execution).

Because even at $2, I’m like kerzain/telefrog in that I just don’t have the time to play this over a backlog that includes Minerva’s Den and Mass Effect 2.
I wouldn’t play this after ME2 unless you have more patience than the average QT3 member. It will ruin AP due to lack of polish.

Read my post above about exactly what kind of roleplaying you do here. You basically pick a personality, watch it play out, and hope you like the writing.

Super moves like combos in beat 'em ups? Or super moves like in a special ability I might use in WoW, such as a rogue using ambush? The latter I enjoy. The former, not really.
It’s special abilities plus contrived RPG progression where you can’t hit anything very well until you level up you gun skillz.

Depends on how much you liked DX3. Alpha Protocol is basically DX3 with the setting switched from cyberpunk future to modern spy thriller. Wonkier controls and worse graphics/animation, but branching storylines, better characters, better story presentation and no crate/vent level design.

It appears to be very hit or miss. For me it was a more enjoyable/interesting game than either ME2 or DX3 although I liked the latter ones quite a bit.

$2 is a steal. It may turn out to be one of your favorite games, it might also turn out to be not to your liking.

Pretty much this.

If you like goofing around with character builds this game is pretty fun. I’ve played through it 4 or so times now, and will probably go back too it again at some point.

This is one of those games that sort of gets better the more times you play it for me. I didn’t really dig my first play through that much, but by the end of it I had gotten used to all the mechanics quirks, and my second play through was really fun.

It’s most certainly worth 2 bucks in my opinion, I easily have gotten 60+ hours out of it on replays and goofing with character builds.

Gah, I’m gonna have to pass. $2 is definitely a steal but I just can’t see myself having the time to load it up and get into it.

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah it’s not going anywhere. If you ever feel like RPGs are cutting out the art of interlocking choice and consequence, you can always come back and dig into this one.

Its easily worth $2. If you play Stealth with a Pistol most of its major issues aren’t that bad.

… and a timed conversation system, and a stealth system that isn’t half what DEHR’s was. I enjoyed DEHR a great deal, despite my occasional frustration with it, but gave up on Alpha Protocol almost immediately. Liking one does not mean you’ll like the other.

Stealth in Human Revolution means finding air ducts to completely go aroung enemies or pressing Space to auto-move behind covers. I’m not sure it’s much more exciting than that of Alpha Protocol.

The problem with AP is that the structure is the only good thing about it. The moment-to-moment mission gameplay is pretty bad, the story/writing is bad (seriously, I have no idea why some praise it. The plot is boring and the dialogue is either lame sarcasm or cringe-worthy innuendos). Seeing how the parts fit together and shift based on your actions is pretty cool, though.