Alpha Protocol

That’s cool! Let me know if you change your mind. I’m sitting on an extra copy I’ve had for almost a year now and it’ll do more good sitting in someone’s backlog than in my inventory, but I can certainly understand not wanting to let your backlog get out of control. That’s a fight I lost a long time ago and don’t wish it on anyone.

I loved Alpha Protocol. I have it on PC and played it using a 360 gamepad. I think I played through it twice and I can easily see me playing it another couple of times.

I just finished it for the first time and absolutely loved it (except for the boss fight against Brayko and the three almost back-to-back boss fights at the very end) and I’m itching to immediately start another playthrough, something I haven’t felt like doing since I first finished Bloodlines, I think. I do think I’ll play it on Easy the second time through, though.

Just a quick question: Any thoughts on the Rookie/Veteran “classes”? Are the worth it or should I pick one of the base ones?

Rookie starts you with a blank slate, and if you pick the “rookie” dialogue option every time it’s presented in the opening sequence, you get a small stack of experience to get you started (beyond the normal leveling, of course). It’s basically a way to give yourself some flexibility to pick what you want at the expense of fewer overall skill points compared to the other starts.

Veteran just gives you a lot of boosts right off the bat, and if you have access to it it’s probably your best bet for a replay since it gives you the freedom to play around a bit.

I’d say yes, you get unique dialogue options, sometimes in significant decision points.

I also find it kind of fun imposing additional challenge (rookie) or steamrolling everything (veteran) because it’s a different experience without the more contrived changes of difficulty setting.

I believe you have to finish the game on Recruit to unlock the Veteran option.

Thank you. I only played through it once, so I was confused what the Vet option was. Great game, I highly recommend it to fans of games with real choices. It scratches the Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Metal Gear, and Elder Scrolls itches.

Since this thread got necroed anyway: did any decent mods for AP ever come out? A quick Google search came up empty, but you never know…

Besides the play with a beard, shotgun & attitude mod?

Arise, thread!

I just began playing this yesterday due to it getting such praise in another thread, and I am really loving it. I just got through Saudi Arabia and have chosen Taipei for my next string of missions. I’m mostly pumping points in stealth, pistol and assault rifle, and am enjoying getting better and sneaking up on guys for a quiet take down. I will say some of the AI seems ridic (I’ll take down a guy three feet from another guy and he does nothing), but overall I’m enjoying this immensely.

Dear Mr. Rubin

Playing Alpha Protocol means you are winning at video games.

Please continue to win.

Ha ha love this quote. For more win, Alpha Protocol is now at $1.50 at Gamersgate right now. This info is stolen from the Bargains thread. Link to the sale page is here: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ALP/alpha-protocol

I recommend bouncing around and doing the first few missions in each area, before focusing entirely on one. You meet many of the characters early on, and once met, they often become handlers for other areas, or add optional objectives.

That’s really good advice that I didn’t have on my first playthrough. Heed it.

Ohhh, you can switch missions areas, such as Moscow, Rome and Tapei at will? Good to know, thanks!

You guys were right, that was easy to switch between op areas. I’ve now spent some more time in both Rome (that gelato shop was hilarious) and Moscow, and am loving the variety. The intrigue is also well done, as I like how, in conversation, your character chooses a stance rather than an exact thing to say.

Quality of life fixes for PC users:

FoV - FOV | Alpha Protocol Wiki | Fandom
Mouse acceleration -

go to mydocuments\alpha protocol\apgame\config\apinput.ini and edit the bEnableMouseSmoothing=true to bEnableMouseSmoothing=false and that should fix your problem.

Easily one of the best Obsidian games :).

Have fun Brian. AP is all sorts of awesome.

AP is fantastic. Sad it didn’t sell well.

Yeah, Id love an AP sequel with the slickness of a Splinter Cell. Obsidian proved they can do more than just fantasy!