Alpha Protocol

“You fight all the way down until eventually you beat the guy and rip off his parachute and, I don’t know, break his neck, and he floats off and you use his parachute to land.” Sounds great, like a James Bond or Jack Bauer or Jason Bourne scene

No, you’re thinking of Ace Rimmer.

I think the game suffers from trying to be all three JBs at once. It’s great to offer the player choices, but you need to at least decide what genre you’re in. You can’t go from that parachute nonsense to having a serious conversation. It’s like they mixed up elements of Commando and Three Days of the Condor.

AP gets better the more times you run through it. The first time is pretty painful, as the controls are all kinds of stupid, but once you get used to that (which takes about a full run), it’s much much better.

I could see it being their best game, I’ve certainly played it more than anything else they’ve made.

For anyone who can’t get this running again, copy the PhysXloader.dll file from the PhysX common files folder to the Binaries folder where it’s installed.

Reported.

Reported.

So while this thread is resurrected anyway, I’m still waiting for the game to become backwards compatible on Xbox One. Come on Sega! You know you want some of that sweet sweet cult classic cash.

They couldn’t manage to port the game without fixing it first, thus betraying its true spirit! Sorry!
Such a cool game.

Me, too. I bought it but never got around to playing it.

You people.

It’s been in sale for the PC for like, $4 numerous times. Geez you guys.

I bought it on sale. It’s been a while (years), but I think I uninstalled that one because I kept missing targets I had directly in my line of fire.

Welcome to RPGs. Now put more points into a gun stat.

First of all, RPGs and bazookas are for people that can’t hit a broadside of a barn on their own, so not my thing. Second of all, gun stats make excellent dump stats when you’re more interested in dialogue and base building.

I am pretty sure it’s been $1 before.

Same here. But I’d rather play it on the big screen, with achievements! (I own it on PC and 360 both, no doubt acquired for very little money on both).

I didn’t get far into the game. The hacking minigame was too difficulty for me.

The funny thing about the minigames in Alpha Protocol is you get really good at them by the end of the game. Even difficult ones I was solving in sub 10 seconds. Useful too because time doesn’t pause when you’re doing them. If someone is shooting at you, you’ll be hacking under gunfire.

I was worried I may have been playing the game wrong doing that. But it might be what makes the game so great that there is no wrong way to play it (or so I prefer to convince myself).

Here I was thinking I’d love to buy it on the Switch…

Oh snap!

At the request of the publisher, Alpha Protocol™ is no longer available for sale on Steam.