Alright! Enough of this!

Brian, we’re supposed to respond to Monty’s post without using any of those letters of the alphabet. Although I have to admit that after flipping through my thesaurus for five minutes I gave up.

BTW, Monty, you deserve a Qt3 No-Prize.

I’m just surprised this thread has gone on this long and nobody’s pointed out the irony of the usage of “alright” in the title.

Just because Langston Hughes and James Joyce have used the word doesn’t make it alright.

For some reason ‘ominous’ always seems to go with ‘clouds’ or ‘storms’. I think we should start using it for Albert Woo (randomly chosen from this thread). For example, we could say, “Has anyone seen the ominous Albert Woo today?” or “Ask ominous Albert Woo about it.”

Eventually, ‘ominous’ will become metonymy for Albert Woo. If Albert would like to decline this honor, it can be passed to someone else, of course.

And yet that is apparently odd:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=all%20right

I wasn’t saying that “fare” was used improperly. I was pointing to it as a cliche’ that, for some reason, annoys me when I see it in a game review.

So Denny, would it be fare to say “alright” bothers you alot?

No, actually, the only thing that bugs me is “rediculous.” I have an unnatural aversion to that misspelling. You can misuse “it’s” all you want, you can pepper with “aint’s” or even use L337 5p34k, and I don’t mind. But “rediculous” just makes me want to whap whoever types it with the Salmon of Spelling Justice.

Is it illegal to use “impact” as a verb or “call out” as a noun? Because it should be.

There is a great idea buried in this question, even if it wasn’t intentional. I think we should make grammar mistakes ILLEGAL! Yes! The next time someone says, “between you and I”, we will give them probation. When they follow up with “us girls are going to…” we give them 5 years. When they then say, “If I was you…” we will have a three strike penalty that lands them in prison for life.

Actually, that last one should be an automatic penalty. We’ll call it ‘involuntary slaughter of a counterfactual conditional subjunctive’!

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. – Winston Churchill