“Alternative” Food

I look forward to the rollout of alternative meat being able to be produced in smaller settings, such as the home. Imagine, beef straight from the tap, whenever you want it!

I’d just be happy with affordable options in the grocery store.

Growing up, the few times I tried a red apple this was ALWAYS the taste, so from then on I assumed ALL RED APPLES are terrible. For decades I never bothered to check that “rule”, and only a few years ago learned that there are actually very tasty red ones (ie NON “delicious” variants)!

Since I do love apples, it was awesome to discover a whole new world of tasty options available to me!

I figure the “Delicious” part is an ironic nickname, like “Tiny” Lister.

Try honeycrisp, macintosh, pink lady, ambrosia, gala, fuji, cosmic crisp, etc. Pink Lady are probably my favorite variety, very sweet, crisp, and a perfect amount of tart.

Had some grapes yesterday that said they were influenced by The Velvet Underground and had a cool interview in a zine.

What kind of beef do you eat?

I’m a pocket dog man, myself.

Oh, usually the kind slaughtered off a grown cow, then after the butchery it’s ground up and smushed into a patty.

I’ve settle on Braeburn and felt very grown up after finally finding my personal apple.

I bet these would be really good to top a salad. I’m always raging hungry after a salad because there’s so little protein. Maybe this is a good non-meat solution?

Maybe good on top of Nachos too?

A bacon substitute on a loaded baked potato!

Wish we had some kind of bug safety panel to inspect facilities raising them for food, or maybe this falls under the USDA? This place has a lot of interesting items:

https://www.edibleinsects.com/

You can get a bag right now in the birdfeed section, report back after your next salad!

Spending too much time amongst the frogs, are we?

Foraging time!

Israeli start-up Future Meat has claimed a huge leap towards commercial viability for its lab-grown chicken, slashing production costs by almost half in just a few months. The company, whose backers include Archer Daniels Midland, Tyson Foods and S2G, said it was now producing a 110 gramme chicken breast for just under $4, down from $7.50 announced at the start of the year. Rom Kshuk, chief executive, said he expected the cost to fall to below $2 in the next 12-18 months.

Kshuk said his company was focused on gaining regulatory approval in the US and hoped he would get the nod from the US Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration next year. “We will launch a product in the US market in the next 18 months that will have a commercially viable price,” he told the Financial Times.

Edit: Changed link away from FT since they’re really annoying.

I feel like anti-vaxxers will be launching an anti-anti-meat campaign any day now.

Well, I finally cooked myself an Impossible Burger, and… I’m not really impressed.* The look is great, but honestly I don’t eat burgers for their looks. The texture is also close to meat once cooked. The flavor is just not there, however.

In contrast, I’ve been eating Beyond Burgers occasionally over the last year or so and actually find them quite tasty. They don’t use soy whereas the Impossible Burger does. I think the pea protein approach is better one (coincidentally the only non-dairy half and half that I think actually comes close is a pea protein based one). I gather that Beyond Burgers are somewhat high in sodium compared to the IB’s (I’d have to look at the labels and compare them).

One thing I noticed is that the Beyond Burger faux meat releases more oil (which actually tastes pretty good for use later/the next day when frying an egg in it) when fried vs the Impossible Burger, which apparently releases almost none.

*Caveat: I may have overcooked it, although I followed the instructions pretty exactly.

I like Braeburns as well, but they’re more expensive and less consistently crisp and not brown compared to say, a Gala apple, which has become my go-to.

I didn’t even know you could buy them in the grocery store. Does in already in patties, or you make your own? I want to grill them up now too to compare.