Am I the only one here who can't enjoy pixel art?

Morta is very pretty, but very blurry - like playing an impressionist painting. Lovely, but not very easy to read at a glance. It’d drive me nuts, I suspect.

I can enjoy pixel art, but I cannot enjoy pixel art in games. In other words I can enjoy nice screen captures, but when I’m playing them, no. Just too hard to tell whats going on. I don’t buy pixel art games. It is not a selling point for me.

I was actually afraid there was something wrong with my brain, so I’m somewhat glad it’s not just me that has a hard time with it.

For me, that’s exactly what I want, and I won’t play a pixel art game that didn’t make attempts at strategically using HD resolution.

Besides usability (don’t make me try to make out a pixel font for no reason) another thing some of these devs seem to forget is that all those old games came with nice manuals that would have drawings of the major characters and items of the game, which the player could then project onto the low detail pixels. Modern games don’t ship manuals, so that key art needs to be placed somewhere else.

Obligatory link when discussing pixel art and what goes into making it good:

Dinosaur Game 3d.

The Street Fighter 3 → SF IV comparison is the best example in the article. The old art is miles better than the new in every measure (except number of pixels painted on screen).

I’m sick of it, personally. The retro thing was fun for a little bit especially when it allowed a couple developers to make a game like Terraria, but I just feel like it’s been waaaay overdone. It’s definitely a negative for me when considering buying a game.

In the end, I’m okay with that as an art style if it serves a purpose. Again, in Terraria I felt like this was the case, as it enabled all the digging, building, and world morphing to occur on a budget a couple guys could do. But pixel art for pixel art’s sake? No thanks.

I think the issue is that good art is expensive. Good pixel art could be as expensive as good 3D art, given a similar scope for a project, which is uncommon if even extant at the moment. There are simply no AAA pixel art games, nor a market for them, I think. Hell, I don’t think you can even do 2D art like SFIII or Garou anymore without expending insane amounts of money. There doesn’t seem to be people with the skill and training working anymore at this level. You would have to hire very senior artist, I’d guess.

However, not-so-good art scales different. Not-so-good pixel art is definitely way cheaper than not-so-good 3D art since you can cut many more corners with pixel art.

I think when people say things like “I don’t like pixel art” people are reacting mostly to the budget of the project.

Can somebody really not like this?

Or does anybody think this

Summary

is better than this?

Summary

(I hate this remake)

Pixel art games are amazing, I mean look at that fish!

The fish looks great, but when I look at the faces of the 3 humans, I don’t even know where to punch them!

Punch them in the throat, since you can’t see noses and mouths.

Did you meet them at bars or through online services? :)

That first picture with the fighting game is tiny. I’m sure all pixel art games look great when scaled down to that small.

As to the comparison picture: yeah, I find the first picture to be gorgeous compared to the second picture. Look at that light streaming in through the windows and all that extra detail. I don’t understand how you can think the second picture looks better.

Yeah same here. Stardew valley is cute, other art though I found hideous. I was against the wierd artsy drawn stuff and then Don’t Starve grew on me. I thought Shelter seemed highly unappealing, but when I finally played it felt, well not what I though. Heck sometimes the color scheme means more to me than the style itself… really not into neon colors in general.

The pixel art style of FTL and Into the Breach works great for those games. It’s higher resolution than a lot of pixel art though, which gives it that clean and crisp look.

Yes, I was able to play those fine.

Interesting. I find the first picture has stuff to make it look like a real place (although I don’t think light works like that), while every single object in the second was put there on purpose with a coherence in shape, color and lightning that just works. I kind of understood where an opinion like yours comes from, which I didn’t before.
It’s funny, I’m not creative at all, but this isn’t the only thing where I have found I have artsy tastes. I should explore it in some way.

Ditto. Older games had limited resolution due to the hardware available at the time, I get that, I lived through it. I have absolutely no desire to go back. I look at that second picture and have to stop myself from squinting to try to get some additional clarity out of it.

I guess now you’re layzkrok. ;)

I’m not even sure I would say that FTL has pixel art; I would call it low-budget 2D art.

It sounds like you guys only need to refrain from buying overlarge TVs. Those pixels look glorious on my 13 inches screen!