Am I too old for a skateboard?

I think he’s saying that its 1,5 miles from his home to the station and then 1,5 miles to work, so in total it’d be 6 miles. If he takes a bike he might not be able to bring it along for the train ride, so it’d only help for half the distance. However a skateboard or scooter would probably be easier to take along for the train ride and thus assist him on the next leg to work as well?

I’ve got a 1,5 mile distance from home to office and I’m way too lazy to walk that, so bike it instead. Since biking is pretty common here and they have proper lanes for it in the street and everything is flat, its pretty easy going. At home & at work I just lock it to the nearest lamp pole, so don’t bother putting it in a shed or a garage. That might not be as acceptable in every city though? (ie just leaving it locked up on the pavement somewhere)

My guess is a scooter might be a better choice than a skateboard as it doesn’t require as much skill and can easily be done in a suit (not sure if thats a factor).

Wow guys, I was just asking if anyone knows about a decent affordable skateboard to commute to the train station and back. I don’t want to use a bike because hassle and stuff.

Anyway I did some research and ordered this:

Hopefully it’ll be fun and I won’t be acquainting my face with the side walk :)

Excellent! Have fun!!

Hey, it’s because we care! Be sure to post an update once you’ve gotten in the groove.

U-oh…don’t forget a helmet, knee pads and a good set of tough skating gloves (i’d say the gloves and helmet are a priority if on tarmac). You crazy young at heart thing!

Cool, now that marxeil is [despite all our granny talk] sorted, I was just wondering about those little roller shoes I see kids coasting behind their moms in the grocery store on. Seems pretty effortless… is that a thing now? Will it be growing up with the kids as a viable mode of transport? Or does holding your toe up to coast eventually cramp the wizzened tendons of an adult?

Well, I can weigh in on this as well. My 8 year old is on his 2nd pair of these:

Its great for going shopping as it eliminates a lot of groaning and complaining from him. He spend most of the time zipping around and comes back to be towed when he gets tired. Also he was very quick to get ice skating.

They’re not terribly good for side walks and general outdoor where the surface isn’t really even, but maybe that’s the junior models. The wheels are just too small to handle holes and such.

I’m 44 and the idea of tumbling off a skateboard at 10-15 mph and onto concrete terrifies me. Even with a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist pads and gloves.

Good luck, OP.

So how’s the skateboarding going?

39 years old and decided to order a skateboard the other day. Should be here in a week. If I can get it together I will post some “old guy learns to Ollie” videos on YouTube.

Hehe, I’m not there yet.

It was some time before I got the chance to try it, on account if traveling and then being I’ll.
I did make the route to the train station and back (about 2 miles) once without incident though and it was pretty fun but harder then I thought it would be. It’s been more then 30 years since I last skated, so I was a little awkward at first, but found my feet after a while.
The skateboard is amazing. I’ve never used one with such an ability to keep momentum. I should probably got a shorter one, but I’m still very happy with it.

What did you order?

Plan B deck, Independent trucks, Bones bearings, Spitfire wheels and some random grip tape and hardware. All that for $125 from Skate Warehouse, seemed like an pretty inexpensive way to off myself…err have some fun. :)

Watching a skate movie on Netflix while I work today and it seems largely comprised of people crashing painfully off huge gaps and stairs. I’m forced to wonder what the heck is wrong with these people…of course in my idiot youth I was jumping off 30’ cliffs on skis so, maybe I’ve just returned to the mothership of lunacy.

Post a picture.

Personally I’m not planning to drop any higher then a very low sidewalk, so hopefully I’ll remain alive.

Glad you are digging the longboard! I remember those being fun back in college when we used to hill bomb them in the middle of the night in downtown Burlington. Once you get used to it and start carving hills it’s great fun!

Board should be here Thursday so I’ll post once it arrives. I ordered it unassembled since I like figuring that kinda stuff out.

I hear ya on the sidewalks, sadly I am no longer made of rubber and magic like I was in my 20’s so I doubt I will be launching any nar nar gaps these days ( I think that’s how you say it in skateboard). Still, there are lots of cool ground trick I can learn and it’s been ages since I’ve tried a new sport like this so I am pretty excited.

Hopefully I can wrangle up someone to film the exploits for public humiliation, um, posterity’s sake.

First outing on the Skateboard was super fun! Rode around a while getting used to the board then learned to Ollie. Still a bit rough, but definitely got to where I could at least consistently Ollie the board even if I stepped off a lot on the landings.

OMG you learned to ollie on your first try? I could never do it when I tried skateboarding and I was only 24 at the time.

Still pretty weak sauce, but after 2 afternoons of skating here’s where the oliie stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvPM_nLq3UA