Am I too old for a skateboard?

Here’s the board fully assembled. Made a few mistakes in assembly, but mostly it went together ok.

Very cool.

Here the weather is great right now, perfect for some old timer skateboard commuting, but I have to travel to Dublin for the week.

Grrrr

That board looks cool but I don’t quite understand why the underside is so decked out… won’t people only see that side if you wipe out and the board goes flying in the air (or lands upside down after dumping you on the ground)?

It’s for when you do kick flips. :) In seriousness though, the top is covered in grip so you couldn’t have it there.

I always figured it was a reward for learning to darkslide. :)

Gotten a few more hours of practice in and still trying to get this darned ollie right!

Dude, that’s hawt.

Don’t you mean rad. ;P

That’s either bitchin’ or gnarly. Not sure which.

I think Radical is the proper term.

Where does nar-nar fit into the skateboard lexicon??? And what about buttery narwhale???

7 weeks in and still working on an Ollie. Skateboarding is really hard!

Finally getting a bit closer to a proper Ollie! Feels great!

Man, I love this freakin’ thread.

Maybe cuz it brings me back to the halcyon days of my youth when I ran with the skater crowd and hung out in dingy poorly lit parking lots well after appropriate hours watching them attempt tricks and knock back bottles of lemon extract because “that shit is totally like 30 proof dude.” Or maybe it’s because you guys are sort of delightful to read about/observe :)

Here’s another less than exciting skate video.

Starting to get a bit more comfortable on this silly thing. :)

Needs EVEN MORE POP PUNK, merry!

Funny, I was toying with this very idea this afternoon at work (commute is 1 mile each way, 2/3 flat). Same age group, too. Hmm…

Anyway enjoying the vids, keep posting.

I don’t know what you’re saying or what it sounds like because I’m watching at work, but cool stuff!

Mostly just blathering Schmidt, no need to listen.

As for a commuter board I totally suggest it. I had a 40 minute walk to my hotel in Indy and I could skate it in like 15-20 min or so, possibly faster (I tended to get distracted though so I’m unsure of a exact direct time).

There are a couple things to look at when buying a board. I would think that a “cruiser” board with longboard wheels would be a good commuter. It’s smaller, more agile and easier to carry than a longboard, but is a much faster and smother ride than a trick board.

Longboards are fun if you have some nice open road, but in a congested area they are kinda like turning a Star Destroyer in Star Wars Armada.

Trick boards (what I have), are really best for tricks. The wheels are small and hard and the board is narrow (depending a bit on rider choice), making for a lot of vibration and slower locomotion. Plus the narrower board can be tough on the old feet for distance riding.

All that said, ollies are super fun and trick boards are a blast!