Am I too old for a skateboard?

You’re doing great! I’d really love to give it a try. By the way, where do you find an empty skateboard park like that? Oh, and apparently cargo shorts are out of style. Don’t feel bad, I just found out the other day myself. :)

Excellent. Exactly the kind of info I was hoping to see here, thanks. Still going to watch this thread for a while before I decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a prebuilt Quest cruiser on Amazon.

What do you mean cargo shorts aren’t in style!? Crazy person!

The skate park is in my home town which has an approximate population of 6, and is therefore never crowded.

As for boards, be careful on Amazon since you want to be sure to get an actual skateboard and not an el cheapo Walmart board. The cheapo boards are really for kids who weigh 40 lbs and are to young to realize the bearings don’t spin.

I still get confused watching someone skate without this in the background:

Thanks for keeping us abreast of the progress, merry. It’s always a treat!

More truly dull YouTube content.

Recovered yet? :)

Getting there. Still a little stiff though.

Not totally related, but when I was 18 I worked in a bank and the manager who interviewed me (a guy in his middle 40’s) was wearing a 3 piece suit and his arm in a cast. He told me that he saw his son’s skateboard and said “How hard could it be?”, hopped on, fell off and broke his arm.

Now in my 40’s, I would never try the same… but I also know that I’m not very graceful too.

Yeah, if it weren’t for the fact that I am enjoying it a lot and have lost 22 lbs in 3 months I’m sure I would have given up due to the injuries.

I used to skate back in high school. I was really never too good but did enjoy it. I feel like wanting to give another go but I have other interests now. I do enjoy watching your videos though so hope it continues.

Get better soon, MP.[quote=“merryprankster, post:72, topic:78535”]
have lost 22 lbs in 3 months
[/quote]

Whoah, it’s not like I needed another reason to consider putting that skateboard back into my Amazon shopping cart and plan for an upcoming weekend! ;)

Since none of us seem to actually be skateboarding at the moment:

HOLEQUEST: A writer/programmer/cartoonist and his dog get stuck in a public park skate bowl (it’d been raining) when no one else is around to help them out. Equipped with just an umbrella, a leash, a phone, and a Twitter account he reaches out to his followers for help and they gradually guide him to a solution like he’s a living interactive fiction game. Apologies if this has already been shared/is well-known.

Wow. Is this just from skating? I didn’t think it was that physical an activity. Or is it from not being sat down eating ? :)

It’s from skating for sure. I haven’t changed my diet at all and still spend lots of time painting minis, playing video games and doing paintings.

Skateboarding, particularly ollieing, is a tremendous workout. It’s tied to the explosive nature of the movements, which burn far more calories than even cycling or running.

Honestly, weight loss was part of my decision to start skating (I was getting rather portly), and I’m actually stunned at the results 1 hour of skating a day for 3 months has generated.

Really the injuries are the only downside, and I probably need to accept responsibility for some of that. I sometimes forget that I’m not 23 anymore and need to be a bit less cavalier when it comes to sports.

sigh

That best not be your dice-rolling hand, mr. prankster!

(but for serious, hope that’s nothing TOO serious)

If anyone wonders why there was no RPG prep done…

When you’re able to reliably Ollie, what will you do next? Another trick? Or ditch the skateboard and save your bones any more punishment? :)

Well, given that I am currently looking into producing my own boards I kinda doubt I will be giving up anytime soon. (Sorry bones)

The plan is to really get super comfortable with the ollies and then move on to frontsides and backsides. What I am discovering is that the more I Ollie the more comfortable I become with the pop. This frees up my mind to focus more on my front foot, which will hopefully allow me to start learning new tricks.

I’m also finding that just putting on a lot of mileage is helping. I am way less shaky on the board in general now, which is definitely sparing these old bones a few crashes. :)

If only EA would have just made Skate 4, I probably could have saved myself a heap of trouble.