Amazing Race 34 - The Return Of Shecky, The Comedy Camel

TAR is back. 9/21.

Oh hell Yeah! I was wondering if this was coming back and hadn’t seen anything about it. Whoohooo!

I’m ready!

Good start, great collection of beards. No real likes or dislikes yet.

Don’t forget the TAR drinking game. Have a shot whenever you hear the word “babe”.

I have no idea how there wasn’t at least one lost finger in that leg? Especially the military brothers. I had cold sweats a few times when they got a little too free and easy with their hand placement with the saw.

So glad this is back. Other than the pink speaker gal, o one really bugs so far.

Yeah no teams that stand out as ‘I hate them’ but also no team I instantly root for yet. But we haven’t seen much personality on most teams yet either.

Father daughter Jamaica is the team I’m rooting for at this point I guess.

I liked the scramble format. The teams really didn’t have a clear idea of how far along they were compared to the others.

It was an interesting twist, but I don’t think I’d like to see it every week. There’s great drama in teams fretting over their position.

I just wish they would bring back the Fast Forward.

Oh definitely, I don’t want to see this as the standard way they handle every leg, but it is a nice switch up.

Yeah, that always made for some interesting choices.

One thinkg I don;t want to see again, but probably will continue to show up is the head-to-head. Build up a nice lead over the team behind you only to have to sit around and wait for them to show up just doesn’t sit well with me,.

I just finished watching this week’s episode.

Wow, one of my favorite episodes of the Amazing Race. Amazing scenery. Great camaraderie and relationships between each team. Navigation screw ups. Challenges that were tough for some, easy for others. Great music. Great costumes. And such an exciting finish. I had no clue which of the 3 teams would end up last at the mat at the end.

That was fabulous.

Well, I’ve never been a fan of the “mega-legs” because they always felt like padding, but this season so far it isn’t too bad.

I think I’m on board for Team MilitaryBros, and would like to see Team Mattfoley go, but don’t feel strongly about it either way…yet

So far this season, I really do like everyone! I guess maybe from a reality show producer point of view, that’s probably a bad thing. I’m guessing they want there to be a team that I don’t like and am rooting against.

The only team that sorta bugs is the Motivational Speaker team, and really it’s just the meme level platitudes that the gal tosses out like a slot machine stuck on three cherries. But that’s mostly a nit I’m picking because no one really bugs. No dude-bros, not air-heads, not resentful couples, not angry families. Just all racing and mostly having a good time and good sportsmanship. Even the Big Brother team, who based on being from BB I figured I’d find annoying, are fun.

Oh, read the clue…twice…and if you’re lost do it a few more times. TAR:101

And learn to drive a stick.

Totally! Even try and get some time on a English stick. I’ve driven stick off and on for decades but I’m not sure I could drive one from the right side of the car.

I get that show isn’t for everyone, but the last several seasons they’ve had some great personalities on it. I really liked Derek and Claire on their show, and so naturally I’m kinda pulling for them.

Interesting challenges so far this season.

They are definitely great personalities. I was also surprised that they were from a reality show like Big Brother. I guess maybe that means reality shows in general cast differently now or have different kind of personalities show up as contestants?

I wonder if that’s the case for Survivor too? I haven’t watched the last couple of seasons. Though before that, I was finding it much more pleasant that Survivor contestants had now started to treat it like an actual game instead of treating every move as OMG such a betrayal of friendship.

I think casting of both of those shows has gotten better the last few years. There’s been a renewed focus on diversity, and I think by nature of that they’ve had to shie away from some of the more alpha bully types.

It’s still or miss on that. I mean I think AFTER the show people are willing to forgive a lot, but when a game move reveals that someone doesn’t have your back the way that you thought, it definitely colors your interactions with that person going forward.

After this week’s episode, I finally have half a team that I don’t like!

After watching the episode, I think you’ll likely easily see which half of which team.

Great leg though. I’m really loving the tasks this season, they’re really meaningful and interesting and local and unique to the places they go to.

I’ve only watched half the episode so far, but are you referring to the motivational speaker? Yeah, she’s really great at her job.

By the way, did you know this was a mega-leg?