Amazing Race Returns Tonight

I’ve not been to Como, but I was about 4 miles west, over on Lake Lugano. Having prosecco and eating dinner on a lake side (literally a balcony hanging over the dock) terrace at dusk? One of the most magical things ever.

Lets see if I can link it…

Yup, there it is. See that garden balcony? That’s where we ate.

10/10, worth the trip to Italy just for that.

You are missing out massively. Watching the episode I recognize all of it. Piazza San Marco is fantastic, and walking around there are all kinds of amazing nuggets. We took a walk from San Marco towards where the Last Crusade emerge from the catacombs plaza, and just took in the sights. Along the way we stumbled upon a museum of baroque instruments that was open to the public, really freaking cool. The Doge’s palace is also a must see.

We went in the first week of July, and did not have any problem with smell, unlike @tgb123’s sister. You need to spend at least a day or two in Venice if you ever find yourself in Italy. I liked Rome better, and Lake Lucerne was more relaxed natural beauty, but damn if Venice didn’t make an impression. However the largely industrial/ docks town you probably will stay at (Venice is crazy expensive for hotels) is a bit on the dirty side. But no more so than say downtown Chicago.

I just wanted to tip my hat to the fine work done this week by the Amazing Caption Writers.

And I hate to admit it, but Team Fun has grown on me to the point where I’d like to see them win.

Bigh Dong Temple. Hahahaha

Because I’m 12

Bah back to back weeks and my two favorite teams get eliminated. I always hate when a team gets eliminated because a taxi driver.

It may have been more because they chose the subway in the beginning rather than use a taxi like the rest of them did. Hard to know with the editing, but I thought it was a risky choice. I enjoyed the gamer competition and thought that Joey’s partner was never going to get a win.

Taxi luck has always been a major factor of the race, so if it means a team gets eliminated so be it. I say that without having watched the episode,so I can only hope it isn’t a team I like.

I watched 2 episodes back to back yesterday. I’m pretty sad that Team Fun is gone. And I can’t believe the Alpha Male team is gone. Bad taxi luck, bad choice of taking the subway. Honestly when they showed up at the video game competition and Team Mom & Dad were still there, fuming about having to play a video game on the Amazing Race, I thought the boys would pass them. On that last round you could tell she was finally taking advantage of the fact that the other player couldn’t see, by attacking and then backing off, attacking and then backing off.

Team Fun really grew on me and by the end I was sorry to see them go. Same with the boys. At this point I’m just hoping for an ABB* finish.

*Anybody but Brooke

Yeah, they are insufferable.

Not me, I’m on the opposite team. Scott and Brooke are the only team left from the ones I’ve been rooting for. I like London just fine too, though her partner Logan is a complete enigma. I guess I would be fine with them winning too. But Team Mom & Dad? Getting pissed at Brooke for not giving them information that could have made them last instead? WTF? And the way Joey kept going on about how much he hates that kid who was beating her at Street Fighter. Arrgh, I can’t stand that team now.

As for Scott & Brooke? I don’t know. Yes, she’s been very annoying. And yes, Scott has a tendency to make things worse by pushing her buttons and being extra snarky and nasty sometimes. But I find them both hilarious. Brooke actually reminds me of a less annoying Flo from Season 3, and someone who can actually do more things than Flo. She complains a lot, but in the end, she gets it done. I don’t know why, but I find her spirit very inspirational. Oh no! I can’t believe this is happening! We can’t possibly do this! And then an hour later, they’ve finished the task ahead of other teams. I like it.

Definitely team ABB. Brooke’s way of getting things done is to cry until somebody helps her or she lucks into it.

Team Fun was my team, sad to see them go. I can’t believe Floyd actually helped that other girl while on the bike. Heroic and dumb.

Booo. BOOOOOO!

But yay Chicago?

And… I don’t care who wins now, just 100% Team ABB.

It finished for me 10 minutes ago. Are you west coast?

Yep heh

Catch you in 45 then. Just gonna say that I WANT TO CLIMB AROUND THE WRIGLEY SCOREBOARD!

What a great finale. Out of the 18 or 19 seasons of this show that I’ve seen, the team that I’ve been supporting at the end has only won very rarely. Once was in Season 5, and then once or twice later in less memorable seasons. So it’s pretty rare what happened in this episode: the team I was supporting won. As per usual, the team that starts ahead in the final leg usually stays ahead. The tasks in the final leg usually involve a lot of physical walking and such, and lots of taxi travel from place to place. I liked that there was a lot of walking in this one again. But as usual, there were no real lead changes in the final leg, which was probably pretty disheartening for fans who weren’t rooting for this particular team.

That was a fun season. And Brooke and Scott were part of the reason for that to me. it was always amusing to watch Brooke complain her way through a task and come out ahead despite saying the sky was falling. She reminded me a lot of Flo from Season 3. I’ve watched Season 3 multiple times, and even though I hated Flo on my first watch, I came to really like her over several re-watches with family and friends. That probably has a lot to do with why I didn’t mind Brooke and actually found her endearing this season.

I really wish Vietnam hadn’t beaten the shit out of Team Fun though. I would have loved to root for them in the finale. And at the finish line, I was really surprised to see Team Mom & Dad be so gracious in defeat. I totally expected them to be mad at Brooke and Scott again for not waiting and letting them get ahead and win the race.

Needless to say I was disappointed in the finale, although not as angry as when Flo won. Still and all, this was the best season in the last several years, even if there could have been more tasks involving animals (I’m still hoping for another appearance by Colin’s broken ox).

And I’ve noticed a lack of tasks involving driving and manual transmissions for a few years now.

I dunno, it seemed this season had a higher than normal amount of legs with challenges teams passed through easily. Ones where, not only did no team change position, but where they would finish before another team arrived.

And the editing of certain things, and I admit my own personal proclivities here, but they make it harder to tell things like distance and time passage. Like in Vietnam, how far did they bike with the nets? Was it 1 mile, or 10? When Team Fun had to retrace the route multiple times, what kind of time passage were we talking?