Amazing Race Season 30

Oooh! An Amazing Race thread that is alive!?

So far so fun. And Survivor has been great too so it’s been a great Wednesday evening of reality TV this spring.

Collin/Christy have mellowed (I recall not thinking they were as horrible as many did back in their original season) and they’re my ‘quality team with a chance’ rooting interest.

The Afghanimals were kinda annoying at first but they grew on me, but Team Fun still annoys. Both seem to play well though so I expect them to be around.

I continue to get the tiny blond gal from the couple team confused with the other two blond gals who’s team color is almost the same shade of purple.

The other two women teams (yellow and pink) are kinda awful. But at least the worse of the two team (by a long shot) got dumped last episode. There is a difference between being a ‘villain’ and being an asshole. Team Pink is the latter.

These guys are the best team ever.

I like Team Fun. The Afghanimals are ok but I can see how they would rub some people the wrong way. The guy/girl yoga new age people give me eye spasms from all the rolling that goes on in my head when they’re talking.

I’m at least one episode behind but I gotta say I thought the challenge where they were dancing in the dark room with the lit-up costumes was awesome.

On another topic, Timemaster_Tim sez:

Sure, but I think the stunt casting is fine most of the time - it’s the fact that it’s devolved into stunt casting + cross promotions of CBS shows that makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

I think I read somewhere that they’ve already filmed season 32, so there’s a least another season in the making… If that ends up getting canned or not is another question.

But yeah, the show does seem to be on life support.

I hated Team Fun the first time around and doubt that I could stomach them any better now, if I were watching. But reading about the returning teams makes me have to ask:

Are Myrna & Smyrna back also?

I loved this season (31) so much. I’m not familiar with the Afghanimals before this season, since I seem to have missed both the seasons when they were on. I really loved Colin & Christie this season. And I don’t just mean their new more relaxed attitude. There was an episode where they held a U-turn vote, and they were one of the two teams who were U-turned. And Colin was happily talking to the other team while they were doing their task, and Christie whispered to Colin “Don’t talk to them”. I just felt such a thrill at that moment. YESSSS! The super-competitive Christie was still under there despite all their efforts to Kumba-ya it up.

I watched the second last hour last night off the Plex DVR, and I watched the final hour this morning on CBS All Access. What a great finish. You don’t often see it come down so close at the end, so that was a really exciting finish.

Oh yes! I was an avid AR watcher the first half dozen seasons or so but haven’t watched again until this year. It was so good! I liked that mostly the teams tried to run their best race rather than focus on the other teams. The one Mean Girl pink team of brunettes were the exception. Even the sister team (yellow team) wasn’t too bad except in moments of pressure. The three final teams were all strongexcept the Afganimals had a few horrible moments of really poor racing and tonight that got them. Enjoyed most all of the teams (except the pink brunettes and yellow sisters). The purple BB team stumble-bumbled their way thru the season and it was surprising they made it to the final episodes.

I think the moment your’re referring to with Christie was when the sisters had forgotten their clue and were trying to get help from C/C. At that point you’re fighting to stay in it so I don’t begrudge any noses turned up at your competing team.

I mostly enjoyed the season, though I was sort of rooting for Team Fun. Having to assemble the drum kit while a bajillion rock musicians were playing was a great challenge!

I’ll have to check out the ratings to see if the season was considered a success by CBS though. If not, that might be the last AR we see, which would be a little sad (though to be fair, it IS getting a bit long in the tooth).

Me too. But all the teams that made it to the final deserved to be there. I was figuring on Kory and Tyler, and my wife correctly predicted Colin and Christy. Neither of us picked the Afghanimals because they seemed to regularly screw up in spectacular ways, and sure enough…

Upthread it was mentioned that they have the next season in the can. So at least we have one more maybe. So many other craptastic reality shows survive but I’m assuming this one costs a bit more than say Big Brother where they just put a bunch of morons in a house and have them do stupid stunts occasionally

The wiki page has the premiere and finale and average numbers up. It didn’t do as good as last season, but it did better than Season 29, which was the lowest ever for the race.

It does look like this was the lowest rated finale ever though. That makes me sad, since I thought it was one of the better final episodes I’ve seen on the show. All the tasks were interesting to watch and appropriately tough.

They’ve dropped the final challenge where the racers have to do some task that involves remembering details from various legs of the race. I rather liked that bit.

Amazing Race could be renamed Marathon with the amount of miles traveled. Some of the places are revisited, but the challenges are still fun to watch.