Amazon Fire TV Stick

Amazon’s Chromecast competitor is finally up for preorder, launching on November 19th. $39 with a remote, but Prime members can preorder for the next two days for only $19. The hardware appears much more robust, so if (when) this thing gets cracked open I could see it being a nice alternative to an HTPC for some.

Edit: “Fire TV stick cannot be powered directly by your HDTV and should be plugged into your wall.” Well, that’s probably a dealbreaker for me.

I pre-ordered since I’m a Prime member. Why not.

This essentially sounds like a slightly less powerful version of the $99 FireTV.

Edit: “Fire TV stick cannot be powered directly by your HDTV and should be plugged into your wall.” Well, that’s probably a dealbreaker for me.

Chromecast is the same, isn’t it?

Chromecast can be powered by external power supply or USB on the TV, I personally opt for the latter. The Amazon stick might let you do this but skimming the product page it doesn’t seem like it.

Yeah, as a Prime member this seems like an easy choice for $20. I’ll just have to add a power strip to the outlet behind the entertainment system.

I continue to wrestle with buying one of these media streaming stick things. Yeah, I know $20 is cheap and all that, but we only have 2 TVs in the house and both have all the streaming media they want, so I’d be buying it only because it’s sort of cool and potentially interesting. And my house is already full of crap like that!

Between Chromecast, XBMC, and a PS4 there’s no utility for this in our house.

It seems like a CC but with better h/w and a physical remote for just $4 more, seems a nice deal.

I went ahead and preordered one. $20 is low enough to get one just out of curiosity. I already have 4 chromecasts, 5 wdtv lives, 2 med600x3d, asus chromebox, and a mk808. If apple would come out with a new appletv already I would get one of those too. I’m curious to see how well it does mirroring/flinging on ios and android.

So yeah Charlatan you NEED one. Buy buy buy!

Unless you have a really big house, you’re a psycho!

Yeah, for $20, I got one to play with, and as a backup in case any of my rokus die.

Plus, spec wise, these are pretty good.

also nice to have for traveling and such

I snagged one as well. Have two Rokus and an Apple TV, but this will be good for traveling. We’ll see.

Shipping it already out to January for these things. Even so, its still a no brainer for Prime members.

It seems largely redundant to what I have now (Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc., via apps on my “smart” TV), but the travel angle has potential.

Glad I saw this thread – I had completely missed the announcement.

$20 is easily within impulse purchase territory for this.

The expected delivery date is Jan 15, 2015. So I’ll likely forget about it and be pleasantly surprised when it arrives. I particularly like the travel aspect as well.

$19 is a killer deal, but we’re fresh out of TVs that still need streaming apps at this point in my house.

Yep I ordered one too, my delivery date is December 19th.

Mine arrives Nov 26th. We needed this since our Roku 3 has been locking up (never buying refurbished again).

Dammit. Missed the preorder special. Ah, well - I’ll live.