Amazon Fire TV Stick

I’ve now setup 3 harmony smart control systems and just wanted to say I’m really impressed. The bluetooth support is really nice which controls ps3 and fire tv just fine. Too bad there isn’t ps4 support yet. The short vs long press on the simple remote really does let me map pretty much any function I want. The myharmony desktop app sure makes things quicker to do initial setup than using my iphone but I do like how it’s all synced so I can tweak things with the iphone app. It also has good macro support letting you program some really long sequences if needed.

Using llama I was able to launch kodi from the home screen.

I’ve setup a fire tv stick at my parents house including side loading kodi and sharing my prime and netflix account with them. The parental controls are pretty nice so I can lock any purchases behind a pin. HAH, I’m using parental controls on my parents!

I’m now kind of itching to get a full size fire tv. I really do like these devices.

Yep, I’m really happy with the harmony smart control. I really like the physical remote, too. Nice and small, with enormous battery life as it has no screen.

The bigger FireTV is an excellent device, but I’m not sure what advantage it would have for Kodi as the fireTV stick supposedly runs it just fine.

I guess the big difference is ethernet port and usb ports to mess around with flirc but yeah the stick works really well already.

The firetv stick supports 5Ghz wifi, so I’m not sure why ethernet is super important. I guess if your wifi signal is terrible.

I use my firetv non-stick on wifi, works great. Streams 1080p no problem.

I know the firetv stick has a USB port too, but is it for power only? I do use a flirc on my firetv, essential or you need a separate remote for TV power and volume, which is terrible.

Yeah, wifi on 5ghz is working fine for me on 1080p streams too but I like to use ethernet when I can. The stick only has 1 micro usb port and it’s only for power. The remote is ok for kodi on the stick but you are pretty much limited to basic navigation buttons + vcr controls. I was wondering with the flirc I could get more functionality out of the harmony remote and map additional kodi functions.

Yes, I map everything with the flirc. I have keys customized to do different things in media playback and menus, etc, too, in the keyboard.xml file. You can do anything with Kodi.

Help me understand Kodi. Right now, when I use the Fire Stick, I start the Plex app, and then I pick my media and playlists using my iPhone Plex app and play them. Results have been eh in terms of stuttering, etc. and the Plex app on the Fire Stick is not so great.

So how would I use Kodi on the Fire Stick? Would it also see all the videos and media on my PC the way that Plex does? I also read somewhere that Kodi does not simply show up in the apps on the Fire Stick for some reason.

Follow the wiki to install it. It needs to be sideloaded and will not show up in the main apps on the firetv/stick. There are various ways around that.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV

Main difference with Kodi is you don’t need to run a server on your computer. You just connect to a windows share and play your videos.

According to me, I reported this spam.