Amazon Fire TV

Oh, cool.

But you said that stuff about Netflix also messing up, and the device working OK just after restarting but not later. Is that not the case?

Haven’t done any extended Netflix-ing or using Kodi yet, too busy playing games! :) We’ll see how it holds up over the weekend.

Games on FTV? That is surprising.

I guess it runs android minecraft pretty well, and the kids are really into that.

Hah, maybe, but not what I meant. The FTV mostly just sits idle when I’m busy playing PC stuff. :)

I just downloaded GTA: San Andreas and it runs pretty smooth so far.

Yeah, it does what it says on the box, I just didn’t think anyone actually played games on the FTV.

Given that it’s the sole thing I have hooked up to my TV, I have installed games on it for the kids too.

Once my consoles come out of storage for something (cheap used 360 Kinect? Rock Band?) then maybe I’ll stop with the games.

It works well with the wireless 360 controller dongle, at least for one controller (haven’t tested it with 2).

Neat. Nothing wrong with that. I bet a lot of people have one used exclusively for minecraft.

Of course instead of doing a proper search for a Fire TV thread I started one last night before bed. Sorry!

So this is the issue I have, which is the same for the Apps tab:

I’ve just tried restarting the box now from the device menu but that hasn’t fixed anything. Going to investigate other options now.

I get the same thing in my Fire TV Stick from time to time, but it’s usually poor connectivity. The radio in that thing is pretty piss poor, which is about the only negative I can find with it.

Is your problem that it’s all overexposed and white, or that it shows no content?

There doesn’t seem to be any connectivity issues. I was able to search for Netflix and download it just fine. Shows and movies show up just fine too.

The white overexposedness is just because I took a photo with my cell. The issue is the lack of content.

Maybe your library really is empty?

If not, de-register and re-register your device.

Yeah, my library is empty, but I’m talking about the other sections that are empty due to “we were not able to find any compilable titles in this section”.

It’s kind of hard to browse for games and apps and such when I have no way of even know what is available.

This may be a stupid question, but is it logging into your Amazon account properly? It sounds like it may not be connecting properly to Amazon.

You know, I would have said yes without a doubt before, but now I’m not sure. I’ve registered it with my account, and in account menu is says my name. Is there something else that needs to be done as well?

LOL. Ok well, my Fire TV is not working because it’s essentially not supported in Canada. Yay!

That’s annoying. It appears there are VPN apps you might be able to sideload and get running, which would then allow you to connect.

What steps would I follow in Windows 8.1? (Just ordered a Fire TV.) I can’t seem to find the steps and wasn’t sure what to try. I typically ignore all the Network sharing stuff on this machine.

http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows

Note these instructions share with “everyone”, so anyone in your home network (not the internet) will be able to see your files.

You can also get a network-attached hard drive. They’re really cheap now. If you do get one, don’t put it on the internet, just use it locally.