Amazon Game Studios loves Twitch (Breakaway, New World, Crucible)

The threat of being griefed was one of the best things about UO. A fantasy world with friends, monsters, villains and foes.

But now there are too many games on offer, so the griefing population would be a much higher % compared to ‘careabears’ so as to make it impossible.

I like the threat of being griefed out there, and knowing that certain areas are more dangerous than others…

I’ve always enjoyed the ‘danger around every corner’ feeling of open ffa pvp. Mostly stopped playing WoW when open world pvp died. I do enjoy when there are mechanics in place to reduce repeated ganking, but I still miss true open world pvp. Fond memories of trying to level in the frontier for bonus xp at the risk of enemies, or Darkness Falls, or Darktide, so many fun times.

Also I typically didn’t mind going solo in games even when they tend to be towards groups. I considered it a victory to pick off a single player in a group and try to get away or simply to stay hidden until the whole group had left.

I only ever played Asheron’s Call as open ffa pvp. It was a great game. Definitely the most frightening horror game I’ve ever played. Every encounter with another player was truly scary in a way no other game I’ve played has ever captured.

So the FFA PVP or nothing crowd won’t like this, and PVE and no PVP won’t either so… Amazon is making a game no one wants. I’m sure it will turn out great then.

Ding ding ding :)

Well shit, in that case they should double-down and make it a Stadia exclusive.

Nah, its just the normal people complaining because a game isn’t exactly how they want it. Honestly, this seems like one that could potentially become really interesting and big.

I am very interested right now and will probably purchase it to join the beta.

IMHO people who love FFA PVP are a small but vocal minority.

Well it’s not really this because they never lifted the NDA. The people talking about it don’t really have much experience with the game or can’t share it. There are number who have had actual experience with it, the PVP problem was 100% predictable.

The ganking problem has been following MMOs around for years. I am not sure why every new game has to pretend like they don’t know that.

Wow, AGS is actually launching a game this month?

It’s not my kind of game, but I do hope it’s a hit and causes Radical Heights to crash and burn overnight.

Another ‘hero shooter’ just what the gaming world needs.

Nice name for the game, Crucible, same as the Destiny pvp game mode is called. And it looks like it also borrow some elements from the Gambit game mode in Destiny (team vs team vs. bossfight).

Seems like it also got some inspiration from ‘The Cycle’ - hostile planet thing, except this is much much smaller scale? (team vs team).

Video I saw didn’t really look that interesting. Good luck to them.

It’s a MOBA, not a Battle Royale or straight shooter. It actually sounds kind of interesting, as I hate the Battle Royale games.

in Crucible players are plopped on a planet to complete various objectives against enemy teams. What we’re in for seems like a weird amalgamation of MOBA-style strategy mixed in with third-person combat. It’s not the sort of hero shooter where you constantly need to be with your team – it’s the opposite most of the time, actually. Most matches there’ll be loads of times where you just venture off on your own, killing computer enemies to level yourself up. You need to level up, you see, to increase things like your health pool and damage output, so you’re prepared for when you do get in a team fight over an objective.

And these objectives change from mode to mode

I tried Crucible out yesterday. Setting aside the connection issues, which I always forgive on launch day, I don’t much care for it. People have been knocking it online for being “uninspired” or too much like other MOBAs, but I don’t even really care about that. I just didn’t find it very fun to play.

In the marquee game mode, a big AI enemy hive spawns every few minutes. When it dies, it drops its heart, and your team scores if you pick it up. First team to pick up three hearts wins. Peppered throughout the map are wandering mobs, which grant you xp when killed, and static harvesters, which constantly drip you with xp. I think the idea is that when there’s no hive spawned, you go out into the map, grind mobs, and take harvesters.

All that sounds fine - it’s a twist on a MOBA, nothing wrong with that - but lots of little annoyances add up to make it not feel very fun. One, the map is so big and the character movement so slow that it takes forever to get anywhere. Mobs spawn in certain locations, but those are far enough away from each other that the majority of each match seems to be just running (slowly) from place to place. Two, TTK is really high, so it feels like the best action in any engagement is to just run away until you find a teammate. It also makes positioning really unsatisfying - if you get the drop on someone, it doesn’t really matter because they’re still at even-or-better odds to kill you. And three, the combat just feels kind of flat. I know that’s an impossible thing to quantify, but compare it to something like Fortnite or Smite, where each hit you land gives you big, immediate feedback.

The game’s aesthetic reminds me of that 3D MOBA that Epic shut down a few years ago, which I liked but whose name I’ve forgotten.

It’s not for me! Maybe New World will grab me a little better.

The shooting in this game is really bad, imo. I had the most fun playing the melee character.

It seems a real competition against…

uh…

against Battleborn and Gigantic. In 2020. Which is kind of hilarious, if you think about it.

Paragon! It finally came to me.

Funny, I was just coming to this thread to post that review. It’s a pretty savage beatdown about the game’s issues.