Amazon Go - the future of retail?

Amazon since those Boston Dynamics dog robots after you to kick your ass.

That was my point. If you watch shoppers buying fruit in a grocery store, they’re extremely picky. I personally can’t buy avocados until I squeeze them. Not too firm, not too squishy. :)

And then there’s the environmental impact of prepackaging fruit in individual containers. Seems like a horrendous amount of waste.

There’s a huge backlash about that kind of packaging in the UK.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marks-cauliflower-steak-slice-plastic-packaging-2-50-143609660.html

The backlash there is more about the price than the packaging, but yes, sometimes there is an environmentally related backlash, as in the coconut example. A sizeable proportion of the time, however, customers seem to favour convenience, and I don’t see why that wouldn’t be how Amazon does it. Maybe with non-plastic containers, but still.

Read “kick” there initially as “lick” and was very confused.

Maybe that type of store is a later project.

It was about time something was done about that last, single bit of human interaction left during my life in the big city. I hope earphones will be mandatory so customers can’t communicate by mistake.

He’s a good dog, Adam.

Well as much as stores make a big deal about customer theft, employee theft is often pretty bad. I worked at a factory and sometimes I would go in warehouse, just boxes ripped open and bags just taken out of them.

What about twins?

That’s not a fair criticism. Sonic opened up a store here and it was a 2 hour a line for weeks because it was new… something different. It will die down as a novelty and the question is, will it be an ongoing worthy experience.

Yeah, exactly. This is a pilot store. You have to extrapolate opening a bunch more to spread that around, and also the novelty factor.

I just thought it was funny, so I shared it here.

You mean I need to wait in line for “fast” food like Chick-fil-a when a new store opens up? NOT SO FAST IS IT???

Sonic? Isn’t that a low-end west-coast fast-food joint?

And what exactly is your high end fast food joint?

Keep in mind, fast casual is not fast food, they’re different categories.

Well, Shake Shack and In-n-out would qualify. Five Guys too, and Chipotle. But my understanding was Sonic was lower-end than Micky D’s. I’ve never actually been to one as they don’t exist on the east coast and if I’m on the west, I’m going to In-n-out. Actually, I’m going to a real local taqueria, but if I’m forced to get fast food, In-n-out.

Oh In-N-Out. We got that too, also 2 hour lines for months… still kind long because N. CA and not Portland OR come here for it. Is that somehow… better?

No, I wouldn’t wait in line 2 hours for a free steak at Peter Luger’s. But waiting to pay full price for low-end fast food is particularly inexplicable.