Amazon Luna Game Streaming

A challenger enters the ring!

I’m a bit annoyed at that article - I thought it would have some usage stats showing that Amazon Luna has higher usage than Stadia from the headline but it’s actually just a generic review.

I’m kind of surprised at the positive title, when the description of how well the tech worked was probably the most negative I’ve seen for a game streaming service.

Amazon has opted for a clever “channel” strategy. Think of how you access various movies and TV series on a streaming box (like, ya know, Amazon Fire TV). You pay Netflix, Hulu, and others a monthly fee, then visit their portals for specific content. Amazon Luna works the same way, with only Amazon’s “Luna+” channel available as of press time. Amazon has already announced that Ubisoft will have its own Luna channel, which will require a separate monthly subscription (price not yet confirmed).

I hate this stuff when I’m trying to click on shows or movies in Amazon Prime Video, and it turns out to not actually be part of Amazon Prime.

^this. And there’s no way to filter it out from the settings either. I don’t sub to Cinemax, Starz, IMDB, Hulu or any of that - yet shows from those services show up in my feed. Pretty sure they’re paying Amazon to do that stuffing.

The mobile app has a “show only free to me” switch, but it is sorely missing from the TV apps. It also doesn’t save that setting, so you have to flip it every time you open the app again.

On my LG TV app, the channel stuff is segregated into its own row except for the channels you subscribe to. It doesn’t show up in the recommended/featured rows.

Prime shows have a little white ribbon in the top left corner of the thumbnail. (At least on Roku.) I can barely see the ribbon on my screen though and have to really squint.

I should note they just added a “free to me” option on the roku app. Long overdue, and it still can’t be made the default, but at least it finally exists.

Got an invite for Luna today. After a 7 day trial they want me to pay $6/mo to beta test for them? No thanks.

I got into the beta courtesy of my Ubisoft+ subscription. Bought a controller. Tried AC Syndicate. Seems to work as advertised on the box.

I only tried the base games like Control and GRID, but of all the streaming services this one seemed to work the best out of the gate. I can’t test the same game across each though, so slightly unfair comparison. But I was hard-pressed to tell that I was playing via a streamed game vs. local. A real test would require having GRID installed locally to compare input latency though.

Zero options for changing graphic settings in-game. While this makes sense, I typically like to turn of DoF and motion blur in a lot of games for more than just performance reasons (or tweak bloom/etc.), so that’s unfortunate but not crippling.

Overall, very impressive tech wise, but the library at the $6/mo level is currently fairly weak. But I’m not the market for this service model. I still prefer it to the scary Stadia model - at least here, it is clear your are renting the games. For my use-case (playing stuff that my PC can’t handle at the quality I’d prefer), GeForce Now is still the winner for the limited cases where the game is actually supported.

Interesting, as I was able to change seemingly everything for AC: Syndicate in the graphics settings. Maybe because I paid for the Ubi+ sub?

Interesting! I only tried Control and GRID, so maybe this is something they handle on a game-by-game basis? I didn’t really need to change anything for either of these games, it was more out of curiosity to see what settings things were running at by default.

Just got the invite too. So the free option is a 1 week trial… I expect raytracing isn’t supported? Wonder how Metro looks.

Now that it is near the end of your one week trial, I’m guessing you’ve discovered no ray-tracing. Far as I know, GeForce Now is the only option for streaming ray-tracing.

I did discover that, and also that Metro is so big on non-playable and scripted sequences in its early stages that I’ll never be able to test the game proper via streaming :/

Haven’t heard anything about this for a long time. I bet now they’ll be scooping up all those sweet Stadia customers!

The pricing seems really complicated and the catalog seems pretty randomz

I would imagine this looks like a hot pass for most people for the same reasons Stadia failed.