Amazon Luna Game Streaming

I got into the beta courtesy of my Ubisoft+ subscription. Bought a controller. Tried AC Syndicate. Seems to work as advertised on the box.

I only tried the base games like Control and GRID, but of all the streaming services this one seemed to work the best out of the gate. I can’t test the same game across each though, so slightly unfair comparison. But I was hard-pressed to tell that I was playing via a streamed game vs. local. A real test would require having GRID installed locally to compare input latency though.

Zero options for changing graphic settings in-game. While this makes sense, I typically like to turn of DoF and motion blur in a lot of games for more than just performance reasons (or tweak bloom/etc.), so that’s unfortunate but not crippling.

Overall, very impressive tech wise, but the library at the $6/mo level is currently fairly weak. But I’m not the market for this service model. I still prefer it to the scary Stadia model - at least here, it is clear your are renting the games. For my use-case (playing stuff that my PC can’t handle at the quality I’d prefer), GeForce Now is still the winner for the limited cases where the game is actually supported.

Interesting, as I was able to change seemingly everything for AC: Syndicate in the graphics settings. Maybe because I paid for the Ubi+ sub?

Interesting! I only tried Control and GRID, so maybe this is something they handle on a game-by-game basis? I didn’t really need to change anything for either of these games, it was more out of curiosity to see what settings things were running at by default.

Just got the invite too. So the free option is a 1 week trial… I expect raytracing isn’t supported? Wonder how Metro looks.

Now that it is near the end of your one week trial, I’m guessing you’ve discovered no ray-tracing. Far as I know, GeForce Now is the only option for streaming ray-tracing.

I did discover that, and also that Metro is so big on non-playable and scripted sequences in its early stages that I’ll never be able to test the game proper via streaming :/

Haven’t heard anything about this for a long time. I bet now they’ll be scooping up all those sweet Stadia customers!

The pricing seems really complicated and the catalog seems pretty randomz

I would imagine this looks like a hot pass for most people for the same reasons Stadia failed.

Starting on February 1, Prime members will have full access to a new slate of popular games on the Prime Gaming Channel, including Yakuza Kiwami, WRC Generations, SkateBird and Potion Permit.

Someone might enjoy those games. Potion Permit just came out a couple months ago and generally has great reviews. Looks like it’s still US only.

A racing sim seems to indicate a certain level of faith in your service.

Now available in Canada, Germany, and the UK.

Starting on April 1, Prime members will have full access to … Yakuza Kiwami 2, Horizon Chase Turbo, The Jackbox Games Party Pack 3 and The Adventure Pals.

[The rest of this post is about the full ~10$ monthly subscription. I don’t have prime and thought it was wanting me to subscribe to that. Sorry for the confusion!]

I just looked through the list of games offered to see if I wanted to try it out. Here’s what I noticed that isn’t part of other subscription services. There’s also a Ubisoft+ option.

• Bug Fables
  • Crosscode
  • Martha is Dead
  • Megaman 11
  • Monster Harvest
  • Mummy Demastered
  • Potion Permit
  • Resident Evil 2 remake
  • Resident Evil 3 remake
  • Ride 4
  • Samurai Warriors 5
  • Sonic Colors
  • Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania
  • The Smurfs Vileaf
  • Thymesia
  • Toki
  • Trails from Zero
  • Trails of Cold Steel 4
  • Vengeful Guardian Moonrider
  • WRC Generations

Man, I already have Prime and I still don’t really want to play any of those (that I don’t own already). I guess I might check out RE2 remake.

I don’t know who this is for

It was super quick for me to just give this a try. I automatically had four games available to play:

• Horizon Chase Turbo
  • The Adventure Pals
  • Jackbox Party Pack 3
  • Yakuza 2 Kiwami

Tried starting up Horizon Chase. It was clear immediately on the main menu that it was going to be unplayable. Video and audio stuttering constantly. I left it running for a bit, but it never got better. The video is a bit blurry too. I never tried starting an actual race because clearly it would be impossible to play.

A network speedtest put my download speed above 100Mbps. The help page says you need at least 10. Shrug. Maybe with six people in the house, there’s just too much variability on my connection. Or maybe Luna isn’t ready for prime time (pun unintended).

I used Luna for a bit when I couldn’t get my hands on a series X. It worked great for playing a bunch of Ubi games and control on my living room tv, iPad, or my ancient laptop. Nvidia’s streaming was better on the laptop but ran terribly on the other two. I kept it for a bit after finally getting an Xbox but ultimately let it lapsed. They started removing games without adding enough new ones, and the Ubisoft add on is pricey if you’re not actively playing Far Cry’s and Assassin’s Creeds back to back as I was earlier.
They also kept adding new bundles that weren’t worth it; if the family games were s
part of the main package is probably still have it for my son.

Strange Horticulture is free to play this month with prime.

Excellent game!