Amazon making a Jack Ryan series with Michael Bay starring John Krasinski

The only show intros I have watched on purpose are those for The Wire. They’re just great music. I usually watch those for GoT, too, but only because I usually watch that show the moment it first airs ;)

Everything else is fast-forward material.

Yes! So true.

I finished up the remaining 4 episodes. This was just right at 8 episodes, not much filler, wrapped up the important stuff and left it pointing to where season 2 should go.

VERY GOOD SHOW.

I realized last night I watched the first four episodes in HD like an animal, instead of 4K because Amazon is so terrible at organizing their content. Hot tip: the Ultra HD version is listed separately and the banner ads in the app will take you to the crappy HD version for losers.

It took me way too long to find the 4k version. Why can’t Amazon do it like Netflix and use the same entry?

Because they suck. I think it’s probably the same reason TV seasons are all listed separately: the interface is built for selling individual qualities, episodes and seasons. And as a side benefit, it creates the illusion of a larger Prime streaming library than actually exists.

I just watched the pilot of this and it’s not bad. They got the same actor who played the Yemeni military police chief on Hulu’s The Looming Tower to play the big bad on this one.

Finished it by Sunday night, as predicted. Fantastic overall, and very Clancy-esque as others have mentioned. I think Krasinski did a great job as Ryan, and agree that the slow build to the chemistry with Wendell Pierce’s Greer character was one of the highlights of the show. Happy to discover they will be together again in Season Two on the Moscow desk. Abbie Cornish is a good actress, but I just didn’t feel like there was anything worthwhile happening between her character and Ryan. When it turned out their stories were connected, it felt like the character was tacked on for that purpose, and will probably be replaced by someone else in Season Two, which is fine.

This is the best Amazon Original Series yet, and I look forward to Season Two, which according to IMDB is coming in 2019. Maybe they started filming on it before Season One aired, betting that it would be a hit and locking up Krasinski and others?

This failed for me also. Felt like there was no chemistry between them. I know the actress is Australian but did she have some other type of accent for the show? I’m assuming she was just going for a blended American accent but seemed like it skipped around to me. I really like the season but I’d be fine with a future wife replacement if they go that direction.

I just finished this. It was decent but unremarkable. It was competently acted but the story was very run of the mill and by the numbers. It started off quite strong but got increasingly dumb towards the end. I’m a spy-genre junkie and so it was nice to see a big budget series. John Krasinski is always watchable and he makes a good Jack Ryan.

If you enjoyed this series you guys should definitely check out Hulu’s “The Looming Tower” which in my opinion is superior in every way and is of course (mostly) based on a true story.

I resemble this remark. Although I wasn’t enthused about Krasinski’s performance, which most others seemed to like. I thought he looked wooden and remote a lot of the time. Part of that might be the terrible chemistry with Abbie Cornish, which others appear to agree with. On the other hand, Wendell Pierce is always awesome.

If the story had gone anywhere that was even remotely surprising, it might have been better than “decent”. And this is from someone who never read any of the books. Oh, I didn’t guess all the details of every plot point, but it was ridiculously obvious almost immediately that the family would betray Suleiman and end up with Ryan, we’d end up with Ryan-vs-Suleiman showdown at the end, the hostages were serving some nefarious purpose beyond ransom, and so on. It fails miserably on the keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat thriller front, which largely leaves relationship drama to carry the load…and that’s not enough to make it better than average.

That was a big plot hole for me. There is no possible way Suleiman could have known exactly when or even IF the Americans would attempt a hostage rescue, and he only discovered when they were coming by accident when he looked at his son’s handheld game and saw the communication with Sara. So how the hell would he have known when to do what he did to the prisoners without them all dying (and possibly infecting his own men) long before being rescued? If he had had 24 hours between discovering the communication and the raid, then I could see it, but it was literally a few hours at most, and he’d already given the prisoners the supplies before then…so…plot hole.

I think his plan was probably going to release the hostages, or move them to somewhere where they would be easily seen and rescued.

I hope Abbie Cornish isn’t back. I have no strong feelings on her work as an actor overall, but she and Krasinski had zero chemistry. Their scenes together were boring. Except the helicopter ;)

Maybe they can ensure a compelling romance subplot by casting Emily Blunt! Though I imagine she might be a wee bit more expensive than the other contenders.

It would be weird, but I’d love them to get Jenna Fischer as a replacement. :)

Abbie Cornish just didn’t seem to fit the part at all, there was an uncomfortableness that you could sense.

Watched the first 5 eps and my wife and I are loving this so far.

Basically Bruce Geryk then.

Episodes 6-8 are where it becomes a bit formulaic and unbelievable. Not be too negative, overall I liked the show and look forward to season two.

I found it amusing that Hollywood is still unable to let go of the image of the President as either Carter or Bush Sr.

Loving the series. Wishing that the military side wasn’t so jacked-up, but it’s still fun.

I like whoever is playing “Tony.”

I don’t have anything trenchant to say other than I freaking loved this. It fits in the Clancy universe nicely, and the writing and acting are very good. John Krasinski really works as Jack Ryan, even if there is a lot of Jim-face, and I really like the way Wendell Pierce plays Greer (and the way he’s written). He’s kind of a bad ass, and I like that touch a lot.

Recall Greer in The Hunt for Red October, when Ryan comes into his office and Greer says, “Jack boy, get yourself in here. Jesus! You look like hell.”

The writing echoes this (there is even a “You look like hell” moment at the restaurant) in the way Greer keeps calling him different goofy names, like Winklevoss or Bright Boy.

I was curious about Krasinski taking on this part, but seeing 13 Hours and A Quiet Place set the table nicely. It works so well.

I’m nuts about this thing.

-xtien

“Well, that makes sense. You’re great at this nerd shit.”